Author Topic: dash replacement VIN  (Read 3554 times)

67 kemie ss

• View Profile
dash replacement VIN
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:09:47 AM »
I have a Canadian-documented 69Z.  There is no question about the VIN - the dash VIN has not been messed with, nor have the matching cowl and firewall VIN stamps been altered.  However, the dash has serious rust damage and was covered in bondo and paint.  I'm debating replacing the dash panel, which means I'll have to remove the current VIN tag and fasten it onto to a new dash. 

Should I do this, or should I work very hard at keeping the original dash?  Am I forever going to be plagued with questions as to the VIN?

Thanks

6667ss138

• View Profile
Re: dash replacement VIN
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 06:25:33 AM »
Its done out of necessity sometimes because this area was so prone to rust but if there is anyway you can save the area around the VIN tag and factory rivets and only replace what you have to is what I would do. The cut out window for the VIN on the repop dashes stand out like a sore thumb to me. Whatever you decide to do take lots of pics of before and after to document.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »
Its done out of necessity sometimes because this area was so prone to rust but if there is anyway you can save the area around the VIN tag and factory rivets and only replace what you have to is what I would do. The cut out window for the VIN on the repop dashes stand out like a sore thumb to me. Whatever you decide to do take lots of pics of before and after to document.

Agreed

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »
Tough call - No clean, easy way to fix it.  The front of the dash panel is usually all that is rusted so maybe you can save some of the original dash and patch it?  You can always see the underside from looking up so if you leave the VIN tag rivets alone you will always have that.  Overlapping the new on top of the old pretty much looks like crap too so no help there.

What ever you decide, my advice to you is never ever tamper with any rivets. :)

-Mark.