Author Topic: 1969 RS Headlight Problems  (Read 4436 times)

camaroman1969

• View Profile
1969 RS Headlight Problems
« on: November 20, 2014, 03:56:58 AM »
Hi Guys!!   I have a 1969 Camaro RS/SS.  As you all know the RS package included "hide-away" headlights.  My issues include: Doors close to slow or won't close all the way. I've read that repo vacuum canisters are to long. If this is correct, you can't adjust.  I have all new vacuum lines.  Vacuum seems to be good.  Checked vacuum line placement at "switch".  I plan on removing assemblies and starting over.  Any additional info would be helpful.  State problems you have had with this set-up and what you did to correct it.
Thanks a Bunch!!     Don

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: 1969 RS Headlight Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
I have heard people sanding and lubeing all moving parts helped. Most repo parts are not too good. Carmaro Barn in NC used to sell parts with warrantys. The guy that runs it is also very knowledgable about the systems also. If you are not going for original I know a lot of guys are going to the electric conversion. If you insist on working on yours I would get a electric vacuum pump with an adjustable regulator instead of using engine vacuum.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 03:09:46 PM »
Must be luck of the draw with these systems. Mine work perfectly well, and has for the 32 years I've had the car? Original vacuum canisters, etc. Only issue I have is with the driver's door - it sticks if the temp is below say 60 degrees. But If you give a it nudge, it closes right up. When it's warm outside, it works fine. Pass side never gives me  a problem. Maybe I shouldn't post this. As soon as I do, I'll start having problems.
Jimmy V.

Rsss396

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 05:01:33 PM »
I would make up a vacuum gauge with a tee and test the vacuum at the engine and test the vacuum at each headlight actuator. i actually put a restrictor inline to my one actuator to slow it down for a perfect timing of the doors closing

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 06:20:29 PM »
Had exactly the same problem last summer after replacing all the hoses. Replace the switch on the reserve tank if it isn't shiny new. The OE style repro is a dead ringer for OE. Took a few cycles to adjust and the doors worked fine. The switch has a rubber piston inside. It was deteriorated, rubber dust all over.
Learning more and more about less and less...