Author Topic: Restoring a galvanized finish ???  (Read 14275 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Restoring a galvanized finish ???
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:45:55 PM »
My '68 tail light galvanized backing plates are in good shape. They are not rusting anywhere but the galvanized finish is dull and getting a little crusty in some places.

I would like to restore them back to a newer look. I have tried three things on them. I did some testing on areas that won't be seen. Rubbing compound with a rag didn't do anything. Red Scotchbrite brings back a shine but leaves scratches. #0000 steel wool brings back a little shine without leaving scratches.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this with success and if so, what they used.

Thanks.....Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring a galvanized finish ???
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:07:40 PM »
Actually those plates don't look that bad.  Just don't scratch the surface.  Oxidation is metal's enemy.  Clean it mildly, dry it thoroughly, wax it.  There's always a kitchen plastic buffing pad and WD40; but take a look at this Industry Video to see how they suggest you clean it.  I've never done this to car parts, but I have seen it used on farm equipment.  It works okay.  More importantly, it won't do any harm.  Let us know how you do...
BTW, do you think they could have made a boring job any more boring in that video?  ::)
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 03:10:53 AM »
It reminded me of 'military training films'.. although they only went over those steps once..   The military would have repeated it three times.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 12:33:37 AM »
Gary,
I would be interested in what you use and how they turned out.
I believe the vinegar is the key to the shine but keeping the shine is another question.
Bob

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 02:24:26 AM »
Bob,

I think that was Dave, not I, with the tail lamp housing cleaning question...  but to response to your question/comment I think the vinegar, being a mild acid, would help to remove the dirt and light oxidation on the housings and prepare it for the subsequent steps for polishing and buffing to a clean shiny surface.

Steps from film:
1.  Clean the metal with liquid dish soap (1 tsp per cup of hot water); mix until water is soap; scrub with scrubbing brush until completely clean.
2.  Rinse with water and dry it completely.
3.  Soak a clean cloth with white vinegar.  Rub the vinegar over the galvanized metal to remove any remaining dirt and to shine the galvanized metal.
4.  Buff the galvanized metal with a plastic scrubbing pad to help shine the metal
5.  Apply metal polish to the galvanized metal.  Rub it into the metal with a soft cloth.
6.  Buff the metal polish off with a clean cloth.

The only step which they didn't address in this film was how to protect the now-cleaned surface from further oxidation.  A light wax or oil?  Lemon Pledge?  or ?? :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 03:43:07 AM »
I stand corrected.
Bob

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 12:14:25 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion. I will give this a try and report back on what happens.

Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion. I will give this a try and report back on what happens.

Dave
I, too, am eager to see how it works out.  And Gary is right, whatever you use for the polishing step needs to prevent corrosion.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 01:50:44 AM »
I use Resto Guard and Rust Prevention Magic for most all my parts. Got the Resto Guard info from a NCRS judge and have been using it for several years with excellent results and have several friends now using as well. Purchase mine from Quanta Tanks. Rust Prevention Magic would probably leave the metal with a somewhat dull look but use that on drive shafts and many, many suspension parts.
http://www.gastanks.com/RestoGuard-Dry-All-Metal-Protector-Lubricant-12-oz-spray-can/productinfo/05-11/
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Steve Gregori

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 03:47:49 AM »
Just happened to see this thread, as it caught my attention since the dust shields for the front disc brakes have a galvanized finish on them that seems to be hard to replicate also.  I've used SOS pads on a old galvanized gas can to clean it up and it did a great job brightening up the plating, without removing it.  I'd be a little careful with vinegar as the acids in it may want to tarnish the coating or start a down grading process you may not want.  Steve

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 11:50:46 AM »
How about Never Dull to clean and polish.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 02:50:29 PM »
I wanted to report back on what I tried and what worked and what didn't work on cleaning these up.

These backing plates were not in all that bad of condition to start with. It was like the surface had oxidized and turned a dull flat gray in some areas. It was also rough in texture when you ran your finger over it.

Here's what didn't have any effect on them at all: powdered dishwashing soap....vinegar.....milk and baby powder.

Before buying any polish, I decided to try some Brasso that I already had. That worked! I also tried some fine grade bronze wool. That also worked. So I decided to try a combination of both. Applying the Brasso with the bronze wool. I think it worked about as good as anything could. It didn't make them pristine but it made the outside look like the areas inside that had been sealed up and never exposed.

Doing this did not leave any scratch marks unless you pressed really hard. Where I had tried Scotchbrite earlier in a hidden area, that definitely left scratch marks.

After the Brasso,  I washed them and tried the suggested buffing with a plastic scrubbing pad. That added more shine to them. I was surprised by that. I didn't think it would do anything. I finished them with a coat paste wax inside and out.

The before and after pictures don't look much different but the difference is there. The before picture makes them look better than they really were. The after picture doesn't do them justice.

Over all, I am happy with the way they came out.

Thanks for all the suggestions................Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 04:10:54 PM »
I think they look good.
Thanks for sharing the results.
It will be interesting to see if the paste wax prevents future corrosion.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 03:09:08 AM »
Don't forget those little white wicks. :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

anything