Author Topic: repainting '68 black N30 steering wheel shroud  (Read 3320 times)

DANW

• View Profile
repainting '68 black N30 steering wheel shroud
« on: September 30, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Can you recommend a durable paint to paint the deluxe steering wheel (N30) shroud?  It's hard to get a good bite on the chrome.

What is the correct gloss?  It looks a little flatter than the dash.

Thanks

My68SS

• View Profile
Re: repainting '68 black N30 steering wheel shroud
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 05:51:39 PM »
I have N30 in a 68 as well. I doubt that they're chromed. It looks like plain zinc die cast all over including the highlights.
It does look like a semi gloss or flat black as compared to the dash which is more of a satin black.

Even the original paint did not adhere all that well. Maybe there's an etch primer for zinc or some other chemical surface treatment that will give better adhesion for the topcoat.
How these were sprayed originally, I'm not sure. Perhaps the whole face of the shroud was painted, then when dry the paint was lightly sanded from the highlights 
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55

DANW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
Thanks, I was thinking it was more flat than the dash.

I have it stripped, so I can say definitively that it is completely chromed.  I thought it was odd too, considering such a small amount of it shows after it is painted.  I didn't want to sand the chrome if I could avoid it.  My thought was to use 1/16" wide fine line masking to cover the raised areas that will show chrome after the paint is applied.

My68SS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 05:12:27 AM »
Thanks, I was thinking it was more flat than the dash.

Yeah sorry, the gloss terms are easily mixed up. That's what I was meaning but got my sheen order wrong.
This article gives the correct order [I think] http://www.san-antonio-painting.com/paint-sheens.php

Masking is one way, but the tight radius's might be tricky.
Rob
1968 12C SS
L34/M40
12 bolt posi 3.55