Author Topic: New guy, New project ' 67  (Read 68213 times)

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
Re: New guy, New project ' 67
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2015, 06:48:21 PM »
Ok, a little more progress, got the rest of the old quarter off, and out of the trunk drip rails

New quarter test fit for fun time

Its just in place with a few vice grips to see how it looks, itll need a little tweaking, but not too bad.

and Ive kinda fallen back to the origional color, I know I said I wasnt a big bright red color fan, but it looks ok, plus its original..  not sure on the rs grille yet, but definitely thing the white nose stripe, with the rocker chrome, wheel well chrome, might leave off the front bumper, not sure yet.

'67  in progress

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »
I just installed another tulip (deck filler) panel which was a CHL part with molding pins included. Perfect fit unlike others I've done. You can glue the tulip to the gutter. It's not only faster and stronger but seals also.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2015, 05:03:03 PM »
tinkering on it, trying to get the front of the quarter down to match the top of the door and the bodylines, seems the 'foot' of the front of the quarter in the door jamb maybe goes too low? It wont go down any more, but I need it to move 1/8"+ lower.

Then the dreaded back panel, I think its an OER, it came with the car, but the top curve is quite a ways off.. wondering if I should order an AMD one to replace it.

'67  in progress

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2015, 10:42:28 PM »
Mooney, sorry I didn't catch this sooner.  In 67 in the Door jam area on the front of the Quarter  panel there was 3 different stamping designs.  I believe your car would have had the first design, my 11A car had the middle design. I think all of the repop Quarter panels use the last design, at least that is what I have seen.  I am attaching a pic. to show how I saved that original portion of the Quarter panel.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2015, 11:21:27 PM »
ugh, might be too late to save it now, Ill have to have a look at the part I cut off.. I was definately considering doing the other quarter differently, but might have to do the whole thing so they match..  
'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »
Yep, dont know how I missed that, Im bummed now...
 I might try to repair the original jamb area and graft it back in so its correct....  The other side I wont be doing the same way for sure now.

:(

'67  in progress

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2015, 08:03:45 PM »
As I thought Mooney, your original jam stamping is the first design.  Did not have the vertical "hash" marks.  At least you caught it before you had to redo both sides.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2015, 08:14:03 PM »
As I thought Mooney, your original jam stamping is the first design.  Did not have the vertical "hash" marks.  At least you caught it before you had to redo both sides.

Thanks for bringing it up, wish I paid more attention, my mindset was in the 'replace the whole quarter' after all the advice, doh!  Ill get it squared up though, with another days work, haha.
'67  in progress

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2015, 09:03:17 PM »
If you are going through that hassle you may as well graft in the run numbers in the decklid area. You'll need to fit the quarter window U-seal and mod that area accordingly, also the window felt ledge and mounting clip slots. The other possible differences between AMD and a GM quarter are in that AMD thread. Sometimes they weld the bumper reinforcement on backwards too.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2015, 09:29:15 PM »
If you are going through that hassle you may as well graft in the run numbers in the decklid area. You'll need to fit the quarter window U-seal and mod that area accordingly, also the window felt ledge and mounting clip slots. The other possible differences between AMD and a GM quarter are in that AMD thread. Sometimes they weld the bumper reinforcement on backwards too.

Not that worried about numbers, it would be nice if the door jambs looked period correct though..

Wish amd could make a part that fits properly without having to make so many mods as you describe..
'67  in progress

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2015, 10:49:42 PM »
The cost to make and maintain the dies to consistently duplicate assembly line sheet metal would be very high. And then every part would be expected to be nearly perfect .Most shops know what to expect of repro panels.  Not to mention many of these panels are being installed on previously done cars with repro parts so they would not line up anyway. Go buy a late stamped NOS fender and you will have a day labor minimum to fix the results of worn out dies.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2015, 04:47:56 PM »
Still getting the quarter to fit low enough at the door, the lower part that meets the rocker appears to be too long so Ive slowly been working the curve higher up the quarter so it sits lower, its really close now so the body line and the top of the door match the new quarter.   
'67  in progress

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2015, 06:08:47 PM »

[/quote]
Not that worried about numbers, it would be nice if the door jambs looked period correct though..
[/quote]

That was exactly my thought.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2015, 03:13:21 PM »
Ok, worked on it a little saturday to play with the gaps yet, it appears the quarter is too thick at the door jam, when the door is flush with the rocker, the quarter sticks out about an 1/8", and it cant go in any more, the quarter window gap is too large as well..  Looks like I may have to split the quarter in the jam and take some out, dont think Ive seen anyone have to do that yet..

quarter window gaps, paint pen measurement was what factory had

factory gap on drivers side

Maybe grafting this back in, since I need the origional jam anyway

'67  in progress

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2015, 05:21:06 PM »
Hey keep up the good work. Your doing great making this much progress with a toddler around the house. WTG.
Keep the pics coming, I really like seeing your updates... :)

BTW guys would kill to have an original red car, so going red is a safe play since it is the factory color.

In the end you are making the car for yourself though, so if you intend on keeping it, build the car you are going to enjoy.

( I like the red with white/black band around the front) But I am a big fan of red obviously.... ;)
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

anything