Author Topic: Monterey 2014  (Read 5478 times)

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
Monterey 2014
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:25:12 PM »
Let's hear the HTA scoop !  any new cars?  I couldn't make it down - was busy at our own VRCBC Mission Raceway HMR.  Sadly, we do not have one
1st gen camaro racing now since Paul's 69 clone car went to a new owner "down under".

Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Monterey 2014
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 02:05:01 AM »
Robert, I was sorry that you didn't make it down this year. I didn't see Dale from New Zealand either so I guess he didn't fly over. The featured marque this year was Maserati, which was celebrating its 100th birthday. They did not have an elaborate display like we have seen from the "big boys" for the last several years. It did seem like there were less people in attendance and there was less stuff for sale or on display over on the midway. I don't know the reason behind any of this. I'm just stating an observation and many others felt the same way. There was a great race by the HTA cars on Saturday afternoon. The top four cars were really going at it the whole race. It was a "photo finish" at the end that was won by Ken Epsman. One car was wrecked. It was a single car accident by Gordon Gimbel in his white '69 Mustang, car #83. I heard something about him over-cooking it into a turn, maybe turn 11, but I didn't see it happen. The car was crunched pretty badly in the front but Gordon was not injured. Bill Bryan had his '68 Sunoco Camaro there, freshly repaired from the Watkins Glen accident last year. Bill was not driving but he had Don Lee drive the car for him over the weekend.

Ford had a nice display of the new 2015 Mustang and Chevrolet had a nice 4-car display featuring a '67 Z along with a new 2014 model and a '63 Z06 Corvette along with a new 2015 supercharged Z06 Corvette. The '67 Z is the old Ken Deckman car that was owned by Bob Morton for the last 20+ years. Bob sold it and it is now owned by Bill Ockerlund. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think Bob ever brought it down to California to race and this is the first time I got to see it in person. I don't think there were any other new HTA cars there this year.

2014 Z/28 VIN number 2G1FS1EE3E9700003

Jon Mello
CRG

kiwiboss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:42:01 AM »
Hi Robert and Jon

No i didn't make it this year as i've too much happening back here and my dad recently had a stroke so dealing with that currently, and with Maserati as the marque it was less incentive for me to fly up as i knew it would be a smaller event, first Monterey i've missed in 10 or so years. I had plenty of mates attending so they kept up with the goings on. Personally for me the Trans Am group would have been the premier class but as always plenty else to see and i'll be back next year. Heard about the Gimbel crash which is always a shame with these old historic cars. Great to hear Mike Eddy in his Falcon getting the sportsman award, well deserved i say.

Robert, Paul's old Camaro is getting winter fresh-in up for our coming season which starts next month, its a very cool car and i've been working on that white 68 advertised in Vintage Motorsport recently but think it got sold so keep your eyes out for others. We also have Australian Trans Am(Replicas) group over for our Historic Festival in January and have to be in Sydney in 3 weeks time to attend there next event for PR, where does the year go?

As always keep in-touch guys and take care

Dale Mathers(NZL)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »
Dale, I'm very sorry to hear that about your dad. I hope he recovers as well as possible.

Yes, that sportsman award is very well deserved for Mike Eddy. He is a real asset to the HTA group and his Falcon is very well done.

We'll look forward to seeing you again next year and best of luck with your upcoming racing season.
Jon Mello
CRG

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 03:55:27 PM »
Cool pics Jon.  You look good in the new, early production Z28!
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:07:14 PM »
Thanks, Scott. They are very nice but the price is beyond what I'm willing to pay for a new car. Not to be nit-picky but I'd like to see the Z stripes be part of the package on the 6th-gen Z/28s.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 09:28:29 PM »
Jimmy Huston has now posted photos on the HTA website from the Monterey 2014 weekend...

http://www.historictransam.com/racephotos/2014Monterey-1.html
Jon Mello
CRG