Author Topic: Research history of 67 camaro  (Read 4645 times)

Jbyer8

• View Profile
Research history of 67 camaro
« on: August 16, 2014, 12:08:44 AM »
Looking to buy a 67 camaro but the seller knows very little about the car as he bought from an estate sale. He claims a lot has been done to it, not by him, his "Professional" opinion. Anyways, I know vins weren't tracked until 1981. Any sites out there where I can find previous owners and maybe find out what was truly done and maybe who did them?

Jbyer8

• View Profile
Re: Research history of 67 camaro
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 02:37:44 AM »
Just to add a little more and I'm sure everyone hates this question but I'm just trying to determine what a good price is. I'm looking at 67 camaro it's not numbers matching and I'm not looking for a trailer queen. The vin indicates it was originally a straight 6 but it has since been restored with 396 engine, Muncie 4 speed, and 12 bolt Posi. Several other items have been upgraded too. My only concerns are the doors have more gaps on both sides then I've typically seen and the door hinges need to be replaced bc you have to lift slightly to close. Also, the trunk isn't flush when closed. Trunk sits about qtr inch higher. Owner claims it's the seals. Could the quarter panels just not have been welded evenly? Car is going for 30k and I just don't know what a car of this caliber is really worth. Owner claims many new upgrades but like I mentioned before, he's just judging from what he's looking at. Here is the link for info and pictures http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4604858288.html

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 03:57:43 AM »
Just to add a little more and I'm sure everyone hates this question but I'm just trying to determine what a good price is. I'm looking at 67 camaro it's not numbers matching and I'm not looking for a trailer queen. The vin indicates it was originally a straight 6 but it has since been restored with 396 engine, Muncie 4 speed, and 12 bolt Posi. Several other items have been upgraded too. My only concerns are the doors have more gaps on both sides then I've typically seen and the door hinges need to be replaced bc you have to lift slightly to close. Also, the trunk isn't flush when closed. Trunk sits about qtr inch higher. Owner claims it's the seals. Could the quarter panels just not have been welded evenly? Car is going for 30k and I just don't know what a car of this caliber is really worth. Owner claims many new upgrades but like I mentioned before, he's just judging from what he's looking at. Here is the link for info and pictures http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4604858288.html

I would think you could buy a decent, all original car for $30K....  ps.  it is not *restored* if all the parts have been exchanged.   'Restored' is short for 'Restored to Factory Original Condition'.. and the one you describe has not been.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Jbyer8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
I shouldn't have used restored. This particular camaro has been updated with time period correct upgrades. I'm just trying to determine if modifying an original straight 6 to a BB does anything significant to value. Not trying to compare to a numbers matching. But if you had two 67 camaros both updated with time period correct parts one being an original 8 vs other being an original 6 does the 8 win just bc it was an original 8? Not sure if I'm making any sense here. I've just been looking for a gen 1 camaro for over a year and looked at dozens and I'm more confused now than when I started. I'm not the handiest of person but want to learn. Just looking for a good driver with little work needed in the beginning until I can learn in and outs.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 04:25:09 PM »
if you aren't sure of your knowledge, I'd suggest you consider purchase of:
1)  A completely original unrestored car; these are the most 'honest' cars because you can 'see' all the problems and history ..
2)  If you want a restored car, then choose a restorer you are confident in, and ask him/her for advice, or to point you to a car that they know to be a good one.   Get involved in a local car club.. listen and learn for awhile until you know the people, then ask the right ones for advice or guidance on finding a good car.   

There are MANY cars which are 'called' restored or restified or rebuilt, but many are done by people with perhaps even less knowledge than you, and their problems might be hidden under 'new paint'.. etc.. and can be difficult to ascertain on purchase.  Those kinds of cars are the ones I'd be most cautious about..  Read the thread on the '69 purchased by KERR... and you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about..

Gary
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Jbyer8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 05:10:48 PM »
Thank you for the info

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 12:37:10 AM »
My 2 cents. Reading OP posts, a couple of things I will comment. 1st: Will value be different from converting a 6 vs.v8. You may never get an answer because what matters to one does not to another. A well done 6cyl. to 396, to me, trumps a hacked up sick running small block in a orig. v8 car. The car looked pretty nice and may be just the ticket for YOU and that leads to the 2nd comment. I think you have to do some soul searching and ask yourself what it is you really want. Now, you gave a hint stating you are not real mechanical and want something you can enjoy right away. If you really want an original Muscle car, like an SS or Z it may be ok to "cut your teeth" on a car like this, but you will never be totally satisfied because you will know it is a clone. If that is not the case you will still need to be honest with yourself and set a parameter of what you are after. Some like plain jane original survivor, some want a street beast, some want a convert. Some want RS package. Point is don't just settle for what you can afford. Make a list of what is important to you. As far as value, some find pro-touring cars appealing, but I would walk right by one to check out a "survivor" car. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and value can be very subjective. Most all would agree that documented high horse with orig. drivetrain hold their value and are considered investment grade cars. A lot of us desire such and the ones who have them are fortunate. A lot here also realize that such cars are pricey and not in the price range. But if that is what you really want, I would search. There is always a good buy out there so don't get discouraged and get exactly what you are after, then you you will be happy regardless of the percieved value. With your admitted lack of knowledge, I would find a member here that is close and have them evaluate the work and help with your purchase.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13