Author Topic: Fire Extinguishers  (Read 9388 times)

OG69Z

• View Profile
Fire Extinguishers
« on: July 27, 2014, 01:09:07 AM »
There are a lot of options out there for an "in car" fire extinguisher. It would be nice to see what some of the cars are currently using and what was used back in the day.

The State's 68 A/S Camaro was equipped with the standard hand held fire extinguisher.

An interesting inspection sticker attached, dated 1973, by the San Francisco Region, SCCA.

Wanting an exceptional fire system in the car, I installed a Halon system. Not vintage, but I feel some exceptions are necessary when it comes to safety. The system has nozzles plumbed to the fuel cell area, under the hood, and of course the passenger compartment. The system is easily activated by hitting the big red button next to the driver.
Robert

1109RWHP

• View Profile
Re: Fire Extinguishers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 04:03:40 AM »
That is a small bottle for 3 nozzles.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:04:57 AM »
Donohue's second '67 Camaro had a Kidde fire extinguisher mount on the rear bulkhead panel. This is the car that raced as #15 at the '68 Sebring race.

Photo from the '68 Riverside program
Jon Mello
CRG

WildWestRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:51:06 PM »
Donohue's 68 Camaro had similar piece in similar location. It had red body and chrome top. I have not found a mounting bracket for a similar size unit that matches the holes in the back panel. If you know of an original 68 fire extinguisher like this and have an original mounting bracket, I would appreciate a tracing of the hole pattern to see if it matches the panel holes

Tom

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 01:25:17 AM »
Hello Tom, and welcome to the Forum!

I believe I have an Extinguisher that looks very similar to the one in Jon's photo.  Unfortunately I won't be able to get to it till later this weekend, but I will check it out.
Robert

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 12:27:18 AM »
Hi Tom,
    I have three mounting brackets here in front of me. One aluminum and two in plastic.
The aluminum bracket has a four bolt rectangular pattern mount. The holes are spaced at 0.09375" x 4.875" center to center.

The first plastic mounting bracket has three holes, all in line.  They are spaced 1 11/16" and 3 3/16" apart. This piece appears to be older and shows signs of shrinkage. I think the dimensions may have been maybe another 1/16" apart when new.

The last plastic bracket has only a two bolt pattern, with the holes  3 1/4" center to center.

Let me know if any of these match what you need and I can bring it up to Monterey.
Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 04:32:55 PM »
Here is the GM accessory fire extinguisher. There are 4 holes for the bracket. The measurement is 15/16" for the
two holes that are side-by-side and it is 9-5/16" as a distance between the other pair of holes. (Jon Mello Collection)

Jon Mello
CRG

dieseljcc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 05:27:48 AM »
That GM extinguisher was correct for 60-63 Chevrolet. The 64-72 Chevrolet was a little bigger with a smaller tag. The 64-72 extinguisher did also didn’t have a stamped number on the upper portion of it.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 02:49:23 AM »
Thanks for posting the information. Your last sentence is confusing.  Was there a number stamped somewhere in the upper portion and, if so, where was it?
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 06:21:51 AM »
Check out the decals this guy sells on Ebay for extiguishers and batteries. I wanted to put a vintage looking fire extinguisher in my T/A Boss clone so I took a halotron extinguisher and used one of his decals to make it look correct. Same with the batteries.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevrolet-Fire-Extinguisher-Kit-1964-75/312213607642?hash=item48b16194da:g:QvUAAOSwihxdFJwz

1109RWHP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 06:23:54 AM »

dieseljcc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 05:41:35 AM »
Jon Mello,

I apologize for the last sentence. Anyhow, here we go. GM made 3 GM accessory fire extinguishers.

1): the first GM extinguisher was a 2 3/4 in size. The tag to the extinguisher was long. The extinguisher was dated from 08-61 to 12-61. The bottom of the extinguisher was flat, the bracket was long and clipped to the bottom.

2): The second edition of GM accessories extinguisher was similar to the first addition (mentioned above). The extinguisher was a 2 3/4 in size. The extinguisher had the same long tag. However, the bottom was round, and the bracket had a cup at the bottom. The extinguisher was also dated on top with 5-62 up And ending with a stamped 63 year.

3): The 3rd edition was from 1965-1972. The extinguisher was a little bigger, the tag was shorter and so was the bracket. However, with these extinguishers the tag had the dates of the extinguisher stamped on the tag.

NOTE: GM also made the extinguisher in 5lbs.

I have at least 8 of 61-63 extinguishers. Extremely rare extinguishers now a days and are selling for a lot of money. Very nice accessory to own and display.

anything