Author Topic: What's it Worth..?  (Read 14546 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
Re: What's it Worth..?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 06:19:30 PM »
I was originally looking for a '66 - '67 Nova to build up back in the mid '80's and ran across this car stored away in a garage covered in grease and oil to protect the trim and available at a decent price because the then owner was building a house and needed the $$..
Since I really wasn't interested in Camaros I almost passed on it, but it was basically a lot less work than any Nova I was getting looks at - so.....
As an interesting side note - I wasn't into 'numbers matching or born with' stuff at the time obviously (how many were back then?) - so my first order of business after I bought this thing was to get it running. It would keep a charge and after a few boosts and having the battery checked out, I realized the alternator wasn't working at all, so I did the logical thing ('80's) at the time I got a parts store replacement to get it one the road, ASAP!
It haunts me to this day, considering how much an original alternator would cost me now, that I probably turned an original one complete with deep pulley AS A CORE!
How's that for being honest about my own stupidity!! 

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 07:48:11 PM »
Just to clarify, my comment was not a "dig" on your car, and your reply was eloquent and did not indicate such. It is hard to describe what I would consider acceptable embellishments. A disclaimer-just my perception and opinion, so take it for what its worth. Such things as "period" or "era" stuff is perfectly fine to me (note other mods were not mentioned, like your chrome braces) or mud flaps in another post. Those are just things done "in the day". I would leave those items on a car, if I bought it...doesn't bother me. I was just thinking if I were considering a purchase and saw the car advertised as a real Z, upon seeing things in a pic, like the decal mentioned, I would question if the guy really had a Z or knew what was supposed to be on the car and a progression of thought, I may dismiss a car ad upon seeing items that an enthusiast would surely not have on a car, because there are plenty of bogus and mis-stated cars. Your own admission is that you removed the decal (after learning of its origin) showing you are an enthusiast  and of a high level. I have a hard time pricing cars these days myself as I have not personally inspected or compared any in years other than pics on the net. My advice about decal was based on getting the best price and most interest for your car, so, perhaps, others would not pass it up when they see a small detail that would make them question the legitimacy of the car. This would go for any car.
Conclusion: If an ad started "Real Z for sale", I click on pics and see that decal, I'm thinking, yea, right, probably not a real Z or that guy would know better to have that decal...I guess that is the point. I will also say, I will be so fortunate if my own car comes out half as nice as yours when it is completed. Bentley
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 12:54:18 AM »
Bump..

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 03:32:47 AM »
Since your photos are more than 5 yrs old,  current photos would help folks with their comments..?      :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 03:50:12 AM »
The car from the time the posted photos were taken, hasn't at all changed for the most part - except for the "Caution Fan' sticker removal  ;D - better '302' decal on the air cleaner and the feed line to the carb from the fuel pump being more a factory-style configuration and make up..
Oh - and it probably has 500 - 600 or so miles more on the odometer in those 5 or so years!
Randy 

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 10:36:48 AM »
Alright, missing a few still attainable items . Paint not OE color ,but on straight car, which is turn key btw. If top dollar on the market is mid 60's, and you are walking the fence on rolling it, I'm with TODD at mid 50's--maybe at a bottom line. Window shoppers will keep walking.

If I was buying, I see the 302 on the stand as a plus. You say the heads are on the 350 ?

I have turned down serious offers in the past ,certainly with no regrets.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 12:24:15 AM »
Yep - the 350 4 bolt truck short block was finished off with the 'Born With' (I hate using that phrase by the way).. 302 oil pan with baffles, 302 windage tray, water pump, '266 distributor, '291 heads, '610 manifold, along with assorted other bits like alternator arms, bellhousing, clutch fan, fuel pump, flywheel, balancer, and starter..
Most people would never know except guys like you fellas here - but if ever anyone does ask I tell them it is a replacement engine for the one sitting rebuilt at home.