Author Topic: What's it Worth..?  (Read 14529 times)

dutch

• Documented Canadian 1968 Z/28
    • View Profile
What's it Worth..?
« on: June 17, 2014, 04:40:29 AM »
Got a few guys bugging me about selling my '68 Z 2/8 and I honestly don't really have any clue what I would throw out for a price if one of them actually gets serious, but since I've come somewhat reluctantly to the realization that it sits stored 10 months of the year and I seem to get less and less time each passing year to enjoying driving and playing with it, I am entertaining the idea of my life minus it for the first time in 23 years..

Details..
Its a real Z'ed with GM Canada Vintage Service documentation - 64,000 original miles - no other paperwork unfortunately.
Repainted in 1980 - BC/CC red with black stripes and still reasonable - but originally PP (Seafrost Green) w/ black stripes.
Original S. Ontario dealer-sold car and I have traced back all of the previous 8 owners except the first who was rumoured to be an NHL player who played in the US and traded the car back into the original dealer after 1 hockey season.
Original (born with) engine and M21 trans. Rear appears to have replaced with an almost perfect date code 12 bolt - but axle tube stamp indicates it should be out of a '68 Nova?..  2nd owner who was both 2nd and 4th! told me he raced the car so maybe the rear let go at some point by 1972 1973?
Body is very nice and straight with only rear quarters being replaced (G M OEM full panels apparently by the 6th owner in 1980 when repainted red) due to anal tendencies for some apparently very minor wheelwell corrosion.
Very few options - standard black interior in very nice condition with only carpets and dash pad (old one I still have) not 'born with'.
OEM radio gone and 2 aftermarket rear speakers are only mods internally.
I have a cowl hood on it but still have original flat hood.
The hidden VIN stamps are there and match.
Presently the 302 shortblock sits on a stand in my basement for lack of affordable gas and in it's place is a 350 4 bolt with the original bits like heads intake etc. on it - the 302 was rebuilt with race quality bearings, Mains were studded and both they and rods have ARP fasteners and had all had clearances massaged to be perfect - it has .030 over TRW L2210AF pistons and the crank is polished and uncut. I don't have the original 4053 carb. 
Front and rear Spoilers were on the car from the 1980 repaint and are not original to the car.
The car was an early build model with most of the date coding in late Dec '67 and thus has some engine parts that are leftover '67 Z'ed bits like the 266 distributor.
Old pictures I saw and previous owners stated that it had the 302 front fender emblems and not the Z 2/8 ones now in place.
Underside of car is very solid but typical of a Canadian car has some crustiness and things like crossmember, controls arms, and rear, have some pitting as would be expected.
Everything like buzzers, wipers, lights etc. all work as new..
The only thing I haven't gotten around to - as it barely sees 200 miles a Summer at best - to shows and cruise nights - is the rear end is leaking somewhat at the pinion seal and it has a slight vibration telling me the pinion bearings and seal need replacement - but otherwise is very quiet.
Brakes are original including rotors, drums, master cylinder, and calipers (with seals and 'O' ring etc.) and all work amazing.
Front and rear bumpers could use new chrome but are somewhat passable - rest of SS and aluminum trim bits are in very good condition.
Glass is original with the exception of the Windshield which now is tinted.
Still has T3's, original marker light and rear lenses etc.

Lots more... and I could go on forever - but if a few of you who are market-savy would care to pass along some rough numbers to give me some starting point when and if I get up the courage when needed, it would be very much appreciated - Randy

PS - I know what the first response will be.. and I've never had any success posting pictures up here so I long ago gave up trying..

Thanks Again..   

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: What's it Worth..?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:28:30 AM »
Pictures?  ;)  ;D

Paul

I second that motion..  Or you can email me at cook_dw@hotmail DOT com and I will post them for you.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 12:52:26 PM »
Pictures?  ;)  ;D

For comparison...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301211562994?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Paul

Wow..  an original low mileage corvette bronze Z28..  :)  I Love it!     
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 03:23:14 AM »
I'll take a shot -

Really does remind me of my Z by description, a lot of similarities. Documentation and born with engine are a plus, car should bring about $25-30K or a bit more unrestored, but that's just my opinion. Non-original drivetrain would drive the price down to $15-25K depending on condition and further documentation, but since you've got what you have, I think the price is fair. I haven't seen it, so it really is a guess based on looking at a lot of cars for sale.

I've seen prices on restored versions go from $40-55/60K for exceptional cars - I'm sure you can find cars outside of this range in both directions, like the linked Corvette Bronze original in the thread (which is a right nice piece to be sure).

Beauty and value are always in the eye of the beholder (or enthusiast).

Regards
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »
Hi Randy! Realize this is a tough decision on your part so take your time with that. Without seeing the car its difficult but know the car has the original (no doubt) block and the early 266 distributor is a biggie. Nicely restored 68Z's bring 60 to 65K. Your car has many plusses (Canadian doc's, engine, dist. etc.) but also has to some buyers issues with the wrong paint. Stack the pro's and con's and see where you think that compares to say a $60,000 USA car. Last year according to Keith Martin's report 68Z's went down 6% and he has top values under 60K. Many of us as already mentioned can/would assist with posting pictures of the car.
Both Randy's car and our 68Z are siblings since both engines were born on the same day late in 1967.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
Thanks Chick... good to hear from you! How's your car coming along - I haven't seen much about it for quite a while now on TC. I'd be anxious to see more about it certainly..
Thanks for the offer - I did send some old pictures I had of it to Darrell who was going to try and post some of it for those who have stated that the info isn't much good without pictures  :D
Randy

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 11:51:28 AM »
As promised.  Super clean car Randy!! 

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 11:27:33 PM »
Thanks again Darrell for your trouble with this - I have tried numerous times to post pictures of many various things that came up during discussions with no luck getting the file sizes of my pictures small enough!

Guess now everyone can 'fire away'...

Randy

TODD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 03:48:50 AM »
Ok I'll take a shot at value. Looks like a few original bits and pieces are changed.
Assuming its had some parts changed over time and is missing a few original items (Chrome fender supports, non-original alternator etc.)
I'd pay around 53K, but that's just me cause I like a car to be as close to original as possible and I'd pay more for originality.
Still it is a very nice 68 Z28, so whoever gets it will have a nice car from the pics!

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 02:57:49 AM »
Well I agree with Todd as far as different items that have been changed. I love the color, and in my experience the color red does help cars sell faster for the most part, but agree that the corvette bronze RS Z is a sweet piece as well. I would say with the rear end swap, which may hurt a little, but the very nice paint and how clean it presents in the pics, and you have the original short block, I would want to say around 35-45K. I gave a 10k range for the reason your going to have a couple of different types of buyers looking at, the guys who are nit picky and aren't going to be happy until that 302 is all complete and back in the car, and may factor in a repaint with the flat hood (10k for paint), and you are going to have the guys who think the paint job is bitchin the way it is and dig the cowl hood on it, and would just run it with the 350 as is.
Sounds like your a patient man, so if your not in a hurry you should be able to get a very fair offer on it and be happy.
The only way to know for sure though is to put it up for sale and see what people offer you. I have had good luck with carsonline.com
here is one similar to yours, less the block :http://carsonline-ads.com/colsite/col?use=UC3_ViewPosting&cmd=showPosting&postingID=66883
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 02:32:16 PM »
Beautiful. I love the aggressive stance.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 04:56:48 PM »
Plus column far exceeds negatives. Beautiful , straight car. Appears a nicely done clone with a few personal touches , but it's not. It's the real deal with the 302 sitting on a stand. And from what you say, not a bunch of after market sheet metal built around a vin tag.

I like your car quite a bit, but I'm a little partial to 68 Z's lol.

The cost of getting one to that level in primer alone?? From some of these barn finds?

If you are on the fence, set the bar high. It's the person who doesn't have one in the garage that may come off the long dollar.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 05:33:21 PM »
Plus column far exceeds negatives. Beautiful , straight car. Appears a nicely done clone with a few personal touches , but it's not. It's the real deal with the 302 sitting on a stand. And from what you say, not a bunch of after market sheet metal built around a vin tag.

I like your car quite a bit, but I'm a little partial to 68 Z's lol.

The cost of getting one to that level in primer alone?? From some of these barn finds?

If you are on the fence, set the bar high. It's the person who doesn't have one in the garage that may come off the long dollar.

Very nice car, I agree! I'd get rid of that "caution fan" sticker though. Looks cheesy and speaks,"I don't don't know what the H--l I'm doing when restoring a Camaro."
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 05:53:15 PM »
Those pictures were the last ones I took the time back in 2009 or so to do, if memory serves me correctly - when the "Caution Fan' back then was a common and sort of more acceptable 'add on'.. 
Rest assured it has been gone for the last 4 or 5 years now.. - HA  ;D

I really appreciate the compliments from all of you (and the gentle criticism as well ) - I know some things are not exactly how they should be but some were left overs from previous ownerships which I didn't mind enough to change, others I added to suit my own taste in cars and from what I grew up with in the sixties with somewhat... but the real intention of all of this wasn't to troll for compliments, but rather to gain solid feedback of a value from those who certainly should know best..
Thanks again - Randy