Author Topic: 1969 Z28 X33 fire damaged  (Read 8045 times)

Kevin K

• View Profile
1969 Z28 X33 fire damaged
« on: June 15, 2014, 03:24:42 PM »
Hi all, I am new to the forum but have been a long time lurker that has learned a lot from you guys.  I have a 1969 Z28 that I bought frame off restored to a number 1 car.  The car is an eastern washington car(dry climate no rust).  I have owned the car for four years and have been completing the date coding on the car.  The car is garnett red with the ivory interior which is rare color combo.  The car has been completely date coded including the YH wheels.  The engine has the correct winter's manifold along with the Holley dz780.  The distributor, alternator, starter have been restored by Jerry McNeish.
Anyway, now to the bad.  I was getting the car out of its winter storage place in my shop.  I pulled the car out and let it idle in front of the shop while I backed my truck into that bay, and proceeded to change the oil in my truck while the Z warmed up. I had the shop door closed because the car's exhaust is a tear jerker, and it was hot outside.  I heard a faint horn coming from outside so I went outside and found flames coming out the windows.  Long story short fire too big to put out and after 7 minutes fire dept. was there and put it out.  After 3 weeks the insurance company totaled the car.  I bought the car back and now it has a branded title.  I really don't think I can redo the car because it makes me just sick to look at it, and it was in the paper so everyone knows and everywhere I go people want to talk about it.  So, back in 2011 Walter Blair from Blair Collector car appraisals had the car valued at $100k.  He went all over the car verifying authenticity.  He did a very nice
thourough appraisal of the car along with pictures and documentation on all numbers of the date coded components. 

Kevin K

• View Profile
Re: 1969 Z28 X33 fire damaged
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 03:33:41 PM »
Continued,  So now after the fire the interior was completely gutted, looks like the fire maybe started in wiring on driver side.  The front and rear of car look good.  The trunk lid is fine.  The hood is warped, but people that have looked say engine should be fine.  Under car is still just as clean as before, and wheels and tires are fine.  I want the car to go to someone that can fix it, I don't want to part it.  Like I said previously all numbers matching drivetrain and correct date coded components.  The cowl tag on firewall melted also but the VIN is still there by dash.  The appraisal shows what the cowl tag said along with pictures.  All in all this is a heart breaker.  So could you guys please help me in deciding what it is worth.  The car is in Oregon.  Also can the metal be saved after it had fire?

camaro jock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 03:40:11 PM »
We like pictures, and that would help a lot, sorry about your car it sounds like one of the good ones, Darrell

Kevin K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 03:49:42 PM »
We like pictures, and that would help a lot, sorry about your car it sounds like one of the good ones, Darrell
[/quote 
Thanks Darrell.   I have been trying to post a picture and am having problems with it being to large?  I even tried posting from my phone.   Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »
Go on line and download Light Image Resizer - you can then re size to any that you need to transmit (600 X 480 works), and/or simply save the image as a .jpg file, which will downsize most image files (tif's, etc) to a much smaller format. I had the same problem with my iPhone pics, the resolution of the camera is tremendous, which causes a very large file content (usually greater than an MB).

Works for me -

1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

Kevin K

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »
Thanks a lot.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 06:59:58 AM »
Kevin,
Sad story for sure, I can only imagine how you must feel to see that beautiful car go up in flames.....
Now there are a couple of things I'd suggest:
1) if you get the software recommended earlier, please post some pictures of the car, damaged and undamaged areas so we can comment on what looks rescuable (is that a proper word?) and what probably isn't.
2) as for current value, the truth is likely to be that the parts are worth more individually than as a complete car. But a good ballpark place to start may be the valuation that your insurance company put on the wreck i.e. what you bought it back for. If they paid out the appraised or agreed value as a total loss, then they know what it was worth and would have tried to recoup as much of that as they could.
3) people are probably only asking after the car because nobody wants to see a previously-beautiful classic in a sorry state.
4) you obviously enjoyed the car, and while it may be unpleasant to look at it as it sits today, as a number-matching car, it deserves to be returned to it's previous condition (as you said). Have you thought about getting it professionally restored, more costly that you doing it, but you won't have to put yourself through tearing it all down and doing it again.
Hope this helps, and look forward to pictures!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 07:06:20 AM »
Meant to add in above post, can a "branded" title (don't know what that is, being overseas) become a full clear title if the vehicle is rebuilt and passes inspection, or does it always remain on that type of title regardless?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 07:09:41 AM »
It always remains. I believe it is equal to a salvage title.

An over seas purchase may be a good idea, they may not care about the change in title
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Kevin K

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 04:30:54 PM »
I sold it locally to a guy that is going to fix it.  He restores cars and has most of the parts to fix it. I tried yesterday for hours to post pictures unsuccessfully.  I ended up doing well I think on car because I came out 10k ahead of what I bought the car back from insurance company.  There salvage price was really low.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 08:43:28 AM »
You move fast Kevin - from "what's it worth?" to "sold" in a smidge over 24 hours!
Tim in Australia.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 10:46:03 AM »
There are many free download tools to edit photos.  I usually start by cropping (trimming) off background if it's not important.  Then resize to about 800 pixels by whatever. I let the software choose the other side but always check the box to keep the original aspect ratio so the pic is not distorted.  That should get you to a size you can post. If that doesn't work, email the pics, and I will eventually get them posted.

69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o