CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 07:02:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
103781 Posts in 12188 Topics by 4700 Members
Latest Member: lpetruc
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Restoration
| | |-+  Date Coded Reproduction Glass and DOTís
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Date Coded Reproduction Glass and DOTís  (Read 449 times)
JJs 67 Camaro

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2014, 12:24:16 PM »

I wanted to share my experience with the group with the hopes of saving members time, money, and spare you from unnecessary frustration.  I have been to hell and back with trying to find good quality date coded glass.  After being ripped off and wasting a lot of time and money, I have learned that you can get American made repop glass from Pilkington Classic, but you have to specifically ask for it.  They get their American made glass from Auto Temp Inc (ATI) in Ohio (DOT 509).  The glass is excellent and doesnít have waves and excessive tempering marks.  It is worth the money. The date coding is great too.  However, if you donít specifically ask for it you can get some overseas glass from them. They sometimes get overseas glass when ATI is on back order.  

Most overseas glass is wavy and has severe tempering marks.  This is what is sold by many of the other vendors (DOT 516).  In all honesty, if you are not building a concourse car or a nut and bolt restoration, the overseas stuff will probably be just fine, but if you are looking for excellent glass that is close to original- stick with Pilkington Classic and specifically ask for Auto Temp Inc Glass (ATI) (DOT 509).

69Z28-RS

owner since '76

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 12:36:30 PM »

thanks JJ...  I've been waiting on my glass guy to contact Pilkington for awhile now.  I passed along your comments to him today.

Gary W.  /  69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood all tint
69 Corvette convertible, silver/black 350 hp,
60 Corvette white/red, 72 Corvette coupe (2), 
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55 Nomad, '57 Nomad, '57 B/A Sedan
Hans L

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 01:09:33 PM »

Great to know.  I was aware of Pilkington's classic glass, but wasn't aware you had to be so specific.   Getting ready to order front and rear glass soon so your post's timing is good!

http://www.littooy.com/hans/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
NoYenko

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 05:08:27 PM »

I bought my date coded glass from Auto City Classic (http://www.autocityclassic.com) on both my Camaro & Chevelle and was really pleased with the results.
Mike there told me that no glass in pressed here in the states anymore. I was pretty specific on how the LOF code should read & look and it arrived as requested.
I didn't need any door glass. George
JJs 67 Camaro

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 09:37:25 AM »

ATI is the only American company I know of which is where Pilkington gets it from. One other company in Ohio does too but has not done a run in a while. That company is called Spec-Temp DOT 243.

If you are going to get overseas glass Auto City Classic is the best place. Many of the other vendors buy glass from them and resell it.
JJs 67 Camaro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 12:10:17 PM »

Forgot to mention, they buy it from Auto City Classic and sell it for a higher price. They are also the only company, other than Pilkington who owns the rights, to do date coding.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: