Author Topic: 1970 Z28 Original Hood Stripe Assembly manual measurements conflict W/ aftermark  (Read 6183 times)

matthew99mw

• View Profile
Evening all, I just signed up to this forum seeking some assistance for my 1970 Z28, built at Norwood March 1970.  The car did not have the original hood and header when I got it.  I ordered a stripe kit for it from Phx Graphics, found out later that I should have bought it from the originators, Stencils and Stripes. 

Here is the problem...I have the factory assembly manual that shows the stripe lay out. They show that the two large stripes are 3" from the center line of the hood "constant" on the inside line along the hood center and tapered on the outer edge smaller in front to wider in the back. This means that between the two large painted stripes are 6" inside of painted body color, with two pin stripe surrounding these Large Panel stripes, 1/4 stripe on each side and 1/4" body color between the small stripe and the large one totaling 1" for the small stripes and the area then they are up against the large stripes when you consider both sides of the centerline. 

The instructions for the stencil kit say it is 2.5" from the center, leaving 5" of unpainted area between the stripes, then there are the two pin surround stripes leaving a 4" area of body color and after subtracting the 1/2" on either side it leaves 4" of body color, 2" from center of the hood for each side. I contacted both the company that I bought these from and Stencils and Stripes and they both stick to their measurements. I know that sometimes different factories switched mid-stream, and that sometimes the factory made revisions, but shouldn't they have corrected this in the assembly manual?

The factory drawing shows these are explicitly 3" from the center to the large stripes and the instructions for the new aftermarket kit say that the distance using the same exact points to measure from as the factory manual. I have the measurements for the rear (single spoiler and the taper distances on the hood.

Which one is right?  I would really like to get this exact since the car is painted and the body man is asking me what to do...

Does anyone have an original 1970 (only) Z28 that they could measure for me and get the factory correct measurements for me, Please???

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Hi Matthew,

Welcome.  This is primarily a first generation Camaro forum.

You can try contacting Charley Lillard... http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=4733

Check out Charley's '70 Z/28 website at...  http://www.1970z28camaro.com/

Also, Team Camaro's second generation gurus can probably help you at...  http://www.camaros.net/

Good luck,

Paul

matthew99mw

• View Profile
Thank you Paul...I'll try Charley first...  Matt

jacmac

• View Profile
I just got done with a 73 camaro,didnt use a stencil just followed the factory assembly manual.I thought it turned out pretty good.Good luck.
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

anything