Author Topic: Can 67 SB Engine Frame mounts be accidently switched?  (Read 4427 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Can 67 SB Engine Frame mounts be accidently switched?
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:36:46 AM »
  This has been bothering me for some time now.  When I first got the car together I had some overheating issues, nothing major it hit 200 a few times.  When I'd get it out on the road it'd cool right down, I have a 180 Thermostat.  I finally figured out that the Fan was not "in" the Shroud far enough (ie: half way).  I added a 1 1/2 in. spacer and have had no issue since.  When I put the car together I used all original or correct parts, so what has been bothering me is WHY did I need that extra 1 1/2 in.?  The other night the thought came to me, that maybe the Engine Frame mounts got switched side to side. Is this possible?  Has anyone run into this?  As I remember there was no issue with the bolt holes lining up.  AND, if that did happen, would the Trans. Crossmember still line up with no issue?  As I said the car is running fine now with no issues, this just "bugs" me that I needed that spacer.  Any ideas are appreciated.  I'm a little OCD and I just want it right.  My wife bought me a T-shirt for Christmas says; I have OCD and ADD,  so everything has to be perfect, but only for a little while.  Fits!!!   Thanks!

BTW; this pic. is of repops, mine were the originals.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Re: Can 67 SB Engine Frame mounts be accidently switched?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »
   As I said the car is running fine now with no issues, this just "bugs" me that I needed that spacer.  Any ideas are appreciated.  I'm a little OCD and I just want it right.  My wife bought me a T-shirt for Christmas says; I have OCD and ADD,  so everything has to be perfect, but only for a little while.  Fits!!!   Thanks

Mike, Do you think we should start a club? Change the name of the site, here? Maybe start a support group? I got a big smile over what you said about OCD, because I am in that camp. I would venture to say, most of our members would fall into that group too as we obsess over our cars. I want one of those shirts too!!
I really do not think your mounts could be switched, but I do not have a 67, nor have I seen pics of your car, so will not comment any further. If you could just channel that energy that has you worried about your car and use it towards getting my car done,lol...see, I am obsessing over my car!
Sounds like you need to get that thing "un-packed" and start getting pictures posted. The sooner you get her back out of her cocoon, the sooner the weather will straighten out (weather is waiting on you and not vice-verse). Have a great day.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 03:02:19 PM »
  Isn't there a lip that is turned down on one side of the mount and overhangs the frame cross member? I would think that would prevent the reverse mounting. I know my BB mounts have that turned down lip.
   My 67 BB fan sits about 1/2 the blade top curve into the with the end of the shroud. I though the SB was similar though the BB and SB used different P/N spacers and there is only a 1/4" difference in depth between the two with the SB having slightly more depth reach.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:43:27 PM »
  Isn't there a lip that is turned down on one side of the mount and overhangs the frame cross member? I would think that would prevent the reverse mounting. I know my BB mounts have that turned down lip.
   Mike

Mike, Thanks!  Yes, I believe you are right about the lip.  I hadn't thought about that.  The car is in storage right now so I can't check today.  I did some searching, and found some pics. from different angle.  As I stated my Mounts are the originals, so I'm sure they have the lip.   Thanks again!
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:31:38 PM »

Sounds like you need to get that thing "un-packed" and start getting pictures posted. The sooner you get her back out of her cocoon, the sooner the weather will straighten out (weather is waiting on you and not vice-verse). Have a great day.

ko-lek-tor, we have had 3-4 days in a row now in 30's and 40's, may hit 50 today.  So I am "chomping at the bit" to get the car out.  But it is wet and sloppy and muddy, and we still a LOT of snow to melt.  So it won't be soon.  there are some pics. of my car here:  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9975.msg73686#msg73686
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois