Author Topic: Under dash wiring.  (Read 8483 times)

dmchrist

• View Profile
Under dash wiring.
« on: November 11, 2005, 02:59:18 PM »
This is my first time doing a total restoration. I have done several partials. Is there any easy way to remember all the wiring? Is there a good diagram somewhere?  ???

Thanks, Darren

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
Re: Under dash wiring.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 06:02:52 PM »
Darren,
   One of the best things you can do is LABEL each and every connector you unplug, ...as to where it goes to etc. As 'complicated' as the underdash wiring may seem, ...once you have it labelled, ...it's really not that bad. You might even consider a drawing up  a picture of how the wiring physically goes in too.
  Make sure you have a copy of the wiring diagrams for your year car as well, ...they are also a useful tool. There are color versions floating around that may be available for your year. I believe one of the members on this board did some of them...

Kevin

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 12:32:53 AM »
This is my first time doing a total restoration. I have done several partials. Is there any easy way to remember all the wiring? Is there a good diagram somewhere? ???

Thanks, Darren

Do you have the Assembly Manual? It has page after page showing harness installation and wire routing that you won't find anywhere else.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Buddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 09:30:45 PM »
A digital camera is a wonderful thing ;)

Buddy

DeanZ10

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 11:43:06 PM »
I am ready to put my dash back in after installing new wiring harness. I can't remember if the harness goes in front  or behind the two rods that hold up the steering harness.
Thanks for the help!
Dean

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 05:49:09 AM »
I've found if you pay attention to the connectors and the colors it's pretty hard to get it wrong if you have a schematic, which is invaluable. Most of the plugs can only go one way and the schematic will tell you what color wire goes to what. Like John said, an Assembly Manual is a great source, and labeling helps as well. The thing that helped me the most was studying the schematics and getting familiar with what color wire goes to what electrical position. It's like unraveling a puzzle and picturing in your mind where on your Camaro the wires go. Each wire is color-coded for its particular circuit in the car, and except for a few, they're always the same color for their circuit. Hope this helps and good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

copo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 06:55:09 PM »
The main wiring harness goes in front of the steering support rods.

anything