Author Topic: Fender, fender extension to front valance alignment ???  (Read 5659 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Fender, fender extension to front valance alignment ???
« on: January 07, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »

Just looking for some suggestions on how to correct a problem where my front valance meets the fender and fender extension.

The fender to fender extension alignment is good. When the bottom of the valance is lined up good with the bottom of the fender extension......and the top of the valance is lined up good with the fender......the middle of the valance is recessed about 3/16 inch back from the fender, fender extension joint.

I have the exact same situation on both sides of the car. The fenders are AMD. Both of the fender extensions and the valence are GM assembly line take-offs.

Thanks.....Dave

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Re: Fender, fender extension to front valance alignment ???
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »
Here is a picture to show how good the fender extension and fender line up with each other looking from the side.

I guess the valance could be distorted but what are the odds it is distorted equally on both ends as I have the same problem on both sides of the car.

If I pull the top of the valance forward so that the valance lines up flush with the entire length of the fender extension, then the top of the valance is too far forward of the fender.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks....Dave

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 02:53:31 AM »
I'm assuming your inner fenders are also installed?  Are all those retainers fastened?  I'd think leave all those loose until you achieve alignment wtih the external panels..?  just a thought..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 03:26:19 AM »
 I would secure the top and bottom bolts to lock it down and the panel center recessed. This should leave the valance folded edge high and towards the engine compartment. Then using a square dolly placed on the protruding center edge and a small 2 lb hand sledge, tap the center to slowly coax it until the center is flush.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 03:41:32 AM »
I massage repro panels before I resort to persuading GM tin. I had no problems perfectly aligning the last 67 and 68 GM front end panels. Which leaves your repro fender as the variable. Align the GM panels and then determine a course of action on the repro fender. Is this car at the bodyshop you mentioned a while ago? If so they should know how to repair the car. Parts often need to be persuaded into alignment, it's standard procedure.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 03:45:07 PM »
Thanks for the responses and suggestions so far.

I did a little experimenting to find out which of the three pieces (AMD fender, GM fender extension, or GM valance) might be the culprit.

As it was suggested, I am certain it is the AMD fender that is not shaped right where it meets the top of the valance.

I lined up the valance I am using (the black one) so it was completely flush the fender extension. When you do that, the top corner of the valance sticks out a quarter inch past the fender and it also about an 1/8 inch lower than the fender. Exactly the same results on both sides.

As a double check, I took the original GM valance from my car that I am not using ( the beat up blue one  ) and put that on the car lined up completely flush with the fender extension. The results were exaclty the same.

As a triple check, I took an old GM fender and GM fender extention I had and bolted them together. Then I took the valance I am using and checked the fit against those. The fit was perfect!. The valance was flush to both the fender extension and fender the entire length. ( I have no pictures of that ).

Scott, to answer your question, yes, the car is still at the body shop. We have talked about different solutions but some second opinions can't hurt.........So I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how they remedied it?

Just some info to throw in, my headlight bezels fit pretty good into the AMD fenders as they sit now. If the fender gets reformed by pulled down and forward to meet the valance when the valance is lined up properly with the fender extension, the bezel is going to fit worse. Too much space height wise.

Thanks..........Dave

anything