Author Topic: 69 back up switch muncie using 68 parts  (Read 8165 times)

Rufcar

• View Profile
69 back up switch muncie using 68 parts
« on: December 24, 2013, 04:02:42 PM »
Can some one show me the assembly pin or drawing of how the 67-68 parts mount onto a 69 tranny for back up lights? The only pic I have is for hook up to the column and and have zero of those parts in my car and I have headers. So I decided to use the 67-68 assembly and wire it in vs using the Hurst set up. I just need a pic or 67-68 spec assembly page to show how it all looks and where it all goes. I got the parts from Ground up. Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!  Jim

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 69 back up switch muncie using 68 parts
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 04:58:12 PM »
This is a Corvette, but the parts are the same; the reverse lever needs a hole in it for the actuating rod (it was there from '63-'68). The pink wire is ignition-switched 12V, the green wire feeds the backup light circuit; in any gear except reverse, the switch is open - in reverse, it's closed.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
Thanks John. Happy Holidays!  Jim

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 12:00:58 AM »
I've had trouble trying to find the rod that goes to the switch and reverse arm.  The ones the repro places sold (at least when I got mine) were too long or short.  I just wondered if yours is correct rufcar and if not if John thinks the Corvette ones are a better fit.
68Z28

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:17:14 PM »
if not if John thinks the Corvette ones are a better fit.

The Corvette actuating rod is different, as the Corvette reverse lever is configured differently, with the hole for the rod in another location relative to the shaft. The switch is adjusted by bending the rod.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 10:12:34 PM »
69 Z I bought the entire kit from "Ground Up" and It will be my final project. I'm still waiting for my trunk harness to get here. Today I did all the upholstery and tomorrow Ill assemble rear seats with new belts then off to my lift for the rear light switch work, Ill keep you posted. I stll  have not found the green wire under the dash but I did find the pink power wire and a cut off yellow that I'm not sure about. Any Ideas on the yellow? Its connected by the pink wire in the harness Im hoping they are the original wires for the column back up switch.
Jim

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »
Sorry, can't help much about that wiring on a 69. 68 would be a different story.  I think I've been through every wire at one time.
68Z28

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 10:56:57 PM »
Completed the back up switch today. I took the main harness apart under the dash and found the correct pink and green wires. Then I made a long test wire and checked for continuity 1st.  I used the 68 switch kit and harness extension. The kit wires are light green and dark green. I made plugs and plugged in the light green and Pink and tried the switch and it worked. I didn't know if that was the correct combo or not so I reversed the wires and the switch worked so I does not matter which goes where. Attached is my pic of the switch. My reverse lever has a 3/16" thick steel plate for multi use and that was on the car so what I needed to do was drill a small hole to attach the switch arm so it closed properly. I have made use of one of the holes in the steel previously but it didn't have enough "throw" to make the switch work, now it does and all is well. Thanks for all the advice as usual this is a very informative and helpful forum.

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
Hurst makes a small lever that bolts on over the rev lever so you can use the rod with a rev lever that does not have the hole

anything