Author Topic: Window wiskers or felts, & mice  (Read 4011 times)

NoYenko

• View Profile
Window wiskers or felts, & mice
« on: December 13, 2013, 01:38:50 AM »
I found & bought NOS window felts years ago and pulled them out of the tube they were in and was shocked (pissed) to find mice had eaten them and made a warm little home in the tube. So not wanting to spend big dollars again I bought what was advertized as "The finest windowfelts available". They fit nice but the ends of the molding have a sharp cut edge unlike the originals. I drilled out the center of the molding to a depth of 1/8" and peened over the end with a very small hammer. You don't have to close up the end, just round it off. They turned out pretty good and match the NOS ones. Maybe this is how others do it I just have not seen it talked about. Sorry for the out of focus pictures. George

NoYenko

• View Profile
Re: Window wiskers or felts, & mice
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:40:14 AM »
Couple more

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 01:47:29 AM »
Nice job George.

blackss69

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »
I also bought the "best available".  Maybe the same as your "best available".  The ends were sheared off and bent.  Luckly they could be straighten and the had to be cut off anyway.  Instead of trying to peen the ends I used 3/32 stainless steel rivets.  The fit in the holes and can be removed easily from the rivet post.  Then I glued them in place.  Look pretty good.

I went to put them on the car and the clips would line up ok (except for one quarter panel).  The car has original sheet metal.  The problem is none of the holes for the screws line up.  I compared to a set of NOS and the holes don't line up with the NOS set.  The NOS would fit the factory holes in the sheet metal.  Making them work took a lot of time. 

I guess that is what you get from the repro industry.  Do some real searching before getting "best available".

blackss69

anything