Author Topic: More pics of an old Z  (Read 15414 times)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
More pics of an old Z
« on: November 20, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »
Thought I'd post a few old pics of the car I came across 70's-today. Going to get with #1 owner who claims to have some when he owned it. BTY still have the flat hood and correct front lower valiance. Some reason can not seem to find any with glass hood. Are on video.

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
Re: More pics of an old Z
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:04:33 PM »
80's

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 10:06:42 PM »
90's

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 10:10:58 PM »
last year , a few weeks ago.

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:36:55 PM »
Family shot at a car show fund raiser we put on 9-95. I'm now bald, the one I'm holding is now 6' 1"  185# welding engineer student at Ferris ,the Blonde (wife) stopped with the pictures of the Z and took albums worth of the little one >:(  LOL.  Big dead time frame of the car for about 15 years , some video. Car looked the same,  don't think I ran 2 tanks through it from this shot and " off to the body shop"

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 11:03:18 PM »
Very cool..

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 06:24:47 AM »
Thats a nice little pictorial history of your car. Your lucky to have such awesome pictures through the years. You may have stated this already, but other than the body shop, what are the plans for the final look? drag car ,street strip, stock?
My son is only 6 right now, and I pray he winds up in good circumstances as yours has. You have a lot to be thankful for man..
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »
Really cool stuff! Great color car! Thanks for posting those.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 01:49:31 PM »
Thats a nice little pictorial history of your car. Your lucky to have such awesome pictures through the years. You may have stated this already, but other than the body shop, what are the plans for the final look? drag car ,street strip, stock?
My son is only 6 right now, and I pray he winds up in good circumstances as yours has. You have a lot to be thankful for man..

Thank you ,very proud of him----never to early to get them kids in the garage. A lot of different career paths they can take in life by learning the fundamentals behind what makes these operate. My son loves Tig welding/fabrication--and knows how to keep his old 90 Ford running. My buddy has an 8.9, 72 Camaro slowed down to
mid 9's his 18yo daughter now pilots. And she has earned the right to be in the seat helping her dad over the last 12 years becoming a very accomplished driver/ mechanic + 4.0 student. Mom says Nurse Practitioner ,keep bending my buddy's ear: Mechanical Engineer ,still up in the air.

Z's going Day 2 ,but without all the undercoating ! The 76 pic was way the car looked as early as 69 (2nd owner). I like it---however everything is being restored which gives me the option to put it back stock over a weekend if so desired.  There is a special order Nova out there which is my inspiration.

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 02:46:02 PM »
Janobyte, it looks like all the chrome was removed, are you putting it back? Was it always a RS?
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 05:02:30 PM »
No ,shipped as a console/stripe delete "Plane Jane" Z ( per # 1 owner) however I have found some discrepancies in the story ,anyway #2 added the hideaways (circa 67) ,lower valiance , cowl hood with RS release , 4:88's.

Options were fold down back seat , " off road cam " , 4:10's or 11's always mix with Ford.  Dealer installed Sun Tac in fuel gauge location, supposed headers ordered and supplied with delivery but they are 1 3/4 super comp hookers , who knows ,period correct. Very low stamp. Also I spoke years ago with the man who shot the cowl hood in 69 when it arrived at the dealer(ohio). The flat hood is striped, the rest of the car was dead on per the assembly manual and CHP reference down to the overspray--many pics and measurements have been taken by my paint man to replicate the " imperfections " from the factory. If it was shot after delivery ,my guy said it was done perfect to match. Technically as far as "stock " goes with this one ,it rolled under it's own power from Norwood to the trailer ,off the trailer into the dealer ( Detroit ) and driven to Ohio ( pump was off and manifolds plugged before it left Michigan)---it has always been a car to enjoy ,and no it's 1/4 mile days are not quite done just yet. Honestly shy of the GM rear ring/pinion gears these Z's and 302's can take a ton of abuse the way they rolled off the line .--taking one down in the mid-high 12's is nothing more than a brisk walk for it---with a few things done for safety. They were mid 11 cars with head work and stump pulling rear gear ratios. I think the point bounce acted as a rev limiter ,and when that problem was solved , some met there demise. They are hard pulling engines in the upper R's that do not go "flat". With no restraint one could be over spun. What Jerry is doing with that 67 is something to be appreciated. 11's are one thing--no easy task putting a "heavy' cast iron 2.02 car in the low 10's. Banging gears none the less. And yes my rods have been shot peened.

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 01:26:15 AM »
Killer Z...What dealer was it from? Kind of reminds me of my 68.......

69glacierblue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 03:40:52 AM »
Great pics and stories.  Enjoyed it all.
Dennis
'69 SS350 Vert (X55) 4-sp.
'10 2SSRS RJT M6

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 12:28:26 PM »
Killer Z...What dealer was it from? Kind of reminds me of my 68.......

Parts came out of Milad's--Not sure of Michigan dealer. Ordered while in Vietnam so who ever was involved with that program. I'm going to meet with the original owner soon(when we are both off) I heard he has some paperwork and maybe some pics. No detective work,these guys are around ,just have to schedule.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 05:38:26 PM »
Thats pretty exciting meeting with the original owner. The original owners wife and family live in northern Michigan, it was about 3 to 4 hours from where I was in northern Indiana.   I would to get up there and see them. Having the 4 kids, just didn't get a free weekend to get up there. I still keep in contact with the son. It is hard for to believe his dad owned the car all the way up until 2007, and they never took a picture of it over the years. He was a fanatic about the car, but no pics?
Your pics are a priceless treasure, post up what you get from him, and it might be cool to get a picture of him with the car if you have the chance in the future.
How far is he from you?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

anything