Author Topic: 67 Metal dashboard? 2 color reds?  (Read 6330 times)

guyfere

• View Profile
67 Metal dashboard? 2 color reds?
« on: November 16, 2013, 03:57:00 AM »
Does anyone know the about dashboard colors? The 67 we're restoring has 2 tones of red. The upper deck (speaker grill) is darker than the lower area.
 My research shows no mention of 2 colors separated under the vinyl pad.

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: 67 Metal dashboard? 2 color reds?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »
I think what you are seeing is the difference between the 2 different paints used.  For the upper deck area, a paint with a suede additive was used to achieve zero gloss.  The lower area did not have the texture additive and was not zero gloss.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »
I'm going through the same thing with my red interior chevelle. The upper is the zero gloss suede paint as Jeff mentioned. On my 66 chevelle there were two different interior colors used. The upper is a darker red suede zero degree that matches the dash pad. The lower dash, console, tops of the doors, seats etc were a medium red semi gloss. You can contact Jimmy Chips atTCP global and he will be able to look up the correct Ditzler or Dupont paint codes you would need if you are trying to put your interior back to the correct factory color. He worked at Ditzler back in the 70's when they supplied the paints to GM. He is a very knowledgeable, friendly guy that loves the old car hobby. I have his number and direct extension if you want it.

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »
Also to add. On my chevelle with the top of the dash the darker suede that matches the pad and the rest of the interior a medium red semi gloss, I sent off to Legendary for a seat sample so I can double check to make sure it will match with the medium red semi gloss Ditzler paint number that Jimmy gave me. I'm not positve 67 Camaro would have followed the same two interior color scheme as the Chevelle's but I'm thinking they did. Which would explain the two different colors you are seeing on your dash. Hope this helps.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 01:49:54 AM »
All you need to do is provide your jobber with the paint codes and have it mixed just as shops do. Unless you have a mixing system and mix in house. Interior hues varied within the car and codes don't lie. Here are links that you can use for reference.  You can also contact your jobber or call the color library for the paint company you use. http://documents.clubexpress.com/documents.ashx?key=Mn9lNR5oNp9Osk1Oybo9zXiUl8H2ZPEfYNR%2fojqMOY6daTf3pOKmoYhGMkL2rkQ%2f

http://www.worldwidecamaroclub.com/pdf/tech/paintcodes.pdf

http://camaroattitude.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=GM&model=Camaro

guyfere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 01:06:45 AM »
Thank you, for all your help! Didn't even notice the different shades of red until the entire interior was removed and the body was on the rotisserie. This was a stunning revelation and I know this car is all original. Again, thank you for all of your help! This was puzzling me for months. You have helped me immensely and I truly appreciate you taking the time to help.

SMS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 08:20:02 PM »
Bumping this old thread so I can add a note here for future reference.  Indeed the top of the red interior car was a very dark zero gloss red that matched the dash pad.  I'm restoring a 68 Z28 with this arrangement and when I was a kid Mom had this DD and its very apparent in the photo.
The flat dark red in front of the pad was Ditzler #71486 for interior trim 725.

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 08:36:19 PM »
Yes, if you look at the backside of the old paint chip code sheets, they would list the flat versus semi gloss codes for each color.  The flat versions were almost always darker as well.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 09:29:32 PM »
I am ALSO in this situation; I am looking at the easy way out using SEM, Color Coat products? (Since I do not do this EVERY day Shout out to Scott) I may defer to my Hired pro painter when My car goes to Paint Jail.

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 11:33:56 PM »
I had the same thing on a 1967 Camaro convertible with red interior…I was wondering why there was 2 reds colors on dash.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 06:41:59 PM »
Its the same regardless of interior color as far as shine/hue of the dash top vs dash face.  The reflection off the windshield I would assume was a concern and why the suede/textured finish on the top.  I am not aware of a separate color callout for the dash top vs face.  Might have been process differences or maybe there was an actual different paint.  I do not know.  It will also diff between NOR and LOS as far as texture of dash top.

Pictured 12D ('67) LOS '68

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2024, 10:44:51 PM »
The reason the codes are different for the same color are tints in paint to achieve various gloss levels, hence the formulas. Less glossy colors will appear darker. Just like when shooting BC/CC. Uncleared base looks darker than cleared base.

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2024, 04:16:27 AM »
All you need to do is provide your jobber with the paint codes and have it mixed just as shops do. Unless you have a mixing system and mix in house. Interior hues varied within the car and codes don't lie. Here are links that you can use for reference.  You can also contact your jobber or call the color library for the paint company you use. http://documents.clubexpress.com/documents.ashx?key=Mn9lNR5oNp9Osk1Oybo9zXiUl8H2ZPEfYNR%2fojqMOY6daTf3pOKmoYhGMkL2rkQ%2f

http://www.worldwidecamaroclub.com/pdf/tech/paintcodes.pdf

http://camaroattitude.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=GM&model=Camaro

Links don't work for me. But I remember JM's 1969 Z/28 and SS Camaro Fact Book has a list of finishes printed and noted the dashtop was 30% gloss. I don't recall the gloss percentage for the rest of the interior. 

fsc66

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2024, 02:24:00 PM »
As info

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2024, 05:13:51 AM »
The dash paint has suede additive to it and is often referred to as 0% gloss.
Kurt S
CRG