Author Topic: suspension setup for gen 2 camaro  (Read 9270 times)

Wahoo

• View Profile
suspension setup for gen 2 camaro
« on: November 10, 2013, 05:54:28 PM »
Looking for the best spring rates and shocks for the gen 2 Camaro.
also ride heights and sway bars anything that would help my TA handle best and stay vintage correct.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: suspension setup for gen 2 camaro
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 11:33:29 PM »
Ed, do you know what you currently have in the car as far spring rates and shocks go? The double-adjustable Konis from back
in the day are still very good but can be pretty hard to find. You may want to ask other guys that have 2nd-gen cars in the HTA
group. Mike Eisenberg at Maeco Motorsports is a good resource for parts and info and he's had some experience with 2nd-gen
Camaros and getting suspension set-ups dialed in. There are several others in the HTA group that could be of help. I have some
2nd-gen suspension drawings from GM somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find them in the next few days.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 04:50:03 AM »
1970 Camaro Front Stabilizer Modification Instructions (GM drawings), courtesy of Lance Smith.

1970 Camaro Rear Stabilizer Bar & Panhard Rod Instructions (GM drawings), courtesy of Lance Smith.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 05:08:31 AM »
Ed, in the May 3, 1970 Camaro Chassis Preparation instruction sheets, it recommends that minimum ground clearance to the
subframe cross member should be 3.5" with the note that care should be taken to assure enough bump travel is available at
that height. They also recommended a front spring rate of 500-600 lb/in with a 7/8", 15/16" or 1" front sway bar. The spring
rate at the rear was suggested in the 200-250 lb/in range with no rear sway bar called out. Camber was specified as a range of
2 to 3.5 degrees negative, caster was shown as 2 to 3 degrees positive and toe was listed as 1/16 to 1/8 toe-out for 2nd-gen
cars. Hopefully some of this info is useful to you.
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 04:44:40 AM »
There are a lot of numbers that appear to be pointing to certain objects, as if the numbers reference information presented elsewhere elsewhere, any possibility that you'd have that info as well?

Thanks you, this information is amazing!
Nick

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
These drawings were on sheets of paper that were too large for my scanner so I had to scan sections of them and
post that way. I don't believe I have cropped out any information by accident. In the front subframe shot, there
are numbers with arrows that point at specific objects. For example, the number 8 has an arrow that points to a
plate welded to the subframe. On that same page in the lower left, you see the plate drawing with "Detail 8" under
it. This describes the measurements for that part. The number 2 in the subframe drawing points to a small bracket
on the lower control arm. Go to the next page down and under "Detail 2" is the specification for how to make that
item. I hope this makes it more understandable for you.
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 05:32:43 AM »
Absolutely, thank you Jon.
Nick

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile