Author Topic: 68 standard grill to body gap problem.  (Read 4251 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
68 standard grill to body gap problem.
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »
I am trying to find out how much of a gap, if any at all, should be between the outer edges (sides) of a 68 standard grille headlight bezel and the opening in the fender. I have about 3/16 of an inch on both sides. This seems like a lot to me. I know I have seen cars out there with almost no gap at all. I did not have gaps like this before the car was taken apart.

Every component of the nose of the car is GM except the fenders which are AMD.......The plastic grille center is an NOS GM piece. The lower valance is a GM assembly line take off. The header, the upper and lower grille moldings, and the headlight bezels are original pieces of the car.

This being the case, it seems the variable is the AMD fenders. I tried to compare the bezel opening on them to an orignal GM fender. They seem a hair bigger but not 3/16 bigger.

Is there any cure to close up these gaps or an I stuck with it?

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: 68 standard grill to body gap problem.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »
It looks like if you raise the grille a little, the headlight bezels could be moved out slightly to fit a little closer.

First, I think you should get all the nuts & screws in place on the grille, upper & lower moldings, and headlight bezels, then see how it all fits.  I'm curious if the outer screw holes on the headlight bezels line up with the plastic barrel nuts on the fenders.  Also, I found that the replacement plastic barrel nuts don't match the originals, and needed some trimming & shimming to work correctly.

My 68 now has the original header panel & lower valance, NOS front fenders, NOS grille, NOS headlight bezels, and CHQ upper & lower moldings.  There are gaps of varying size all the way around the grille & headlight trim.  The gaps vary from just touching to pretty good size (never measured them, but could be 1/8" to 3/16").  There were originally some good sized gaps on my car as well.  The varying gaps really bothered me at first, but now that the car is done, I don't even notice it.  

The gaps on your car look fairly consistent all the way around, and IMO it looks pretty good.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 06:34:48 PM by jeff68 »
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »
X2 to what Jeff68 says.
My 68 was repainted a few years back in a Chevrolet shop by a sought after Camaro restorer, the gaps in your pic are consistent with mine.  Like Jeff68, when they installed he grill and bezels, it did line up as good as factory built.
Let us know how it turns out.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »
This is an example of the curse of aftermarket parts. Factory specs were varying enough--they were never perfect. Sounds like your fenders are an exception to the aftermarket rule. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior