Author Topic: New 69 Z28 302 rebuild, dizzy has rev limiter. What is the best RPM limitation?  (Read 17632 times)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Have fun ! I think most here operate in that gray area between not wanting to destroy what's irreplaceable but not "clipping" them either. They are Z's ! If I cant take mama out and still scare her in it once in awhile it's hitting the red carpet.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Stingr69

• View Profile
I run a Crane CD Multispark box that is triggered by NAPA high RPM points firing a stock coil. The crane box is hidden where the center radio speaker would be.  I have the adjustable rev limiter set at 7200 RPM.  The valve train is pretty stout and with the box set to 7200 RPM max, the fun is there and the springs should last a long time. This setup does not run high voltage through the points so the contacts stay clean.  No need to precisely set dwell and no condenser is needed either.  You can easily crank down the RPM limit with a small screw driver for "Valet Mode" if needed. :~D

-Mark.

KERR

• View Profile
maybe i miss read but what parts do you have?

Its takes more than just a set rpm i want to turn it,   You can revve anything as far as you want ONCE! 

My 327 has MSD box set 7800,   but to get the motor live at that many rpms you need good parts,  and to get it to keep making power you need to have heads, cam and intake that will work in that power range.   Like i said you might have typed out all of that and i missed.. 
 I  just dont want you to go  " oh the guys on line said i can spinn them 7200 and then end up with a hand full of parts"

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Original post stated rebuilt 302--came out of the box with "good "parts  ;)
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
The 'factory 302 redline' was 6000 rpm.   I once had a '67 302 that would turn 10,000+.   when I drove my mostly stock build '69 DZ motor on the street, fairly hard, I had no rev limiter but I had my Sun Super Tach redline indicator set to 7000, but would occasionally go beyond that.

What your Rev limiter should be set to is based on how the engine was built, your confidence in the engine builder and the parts, and how much 'risk' you want to take.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

KERR

• View Profile
well said 69Z,

on the that 327 ive got its been hurt a few time lol...  the last time they said i could twist it more but if something happens they cant fix it again..  so its at 7800..  still sounds awesome threw side pipes,  well to me the neighborhood isnt impressed. 

anything