Author Topic: To the paint shop!  (Read 7374 times)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
To the paint shop!
« on: October 12, 2013, 08:43:19 PM »
Finally got the call to bring it in ! Last shots. Front clip and deck lid already in primer. ( # 3 owner , Dad in the backround ) Subframe coming off when it gets home. Keeping on course for Day 2 build. Body mans shooting sheetmetal/inspection #'s as he strips, once we sort them all out sending to Ed B. Been waiting over 20 years to do this.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

x77-69z28

• View Profile
Re: To the paint shop!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 12:38:38 AM »
I'm jealous! My 70 Z project has been on hold with my body shop for over two years! This winter ain't lookin so good either!
Buddy
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:05:20 AM »
Congrats! Janobyte. I am still waiting for "that" call. Body man has put me off another year, need to find a new one soon if this guy can't do it although he is my first choice, I don't have a second choice. I am afraid I may loose interest if this drags out too long. By the way, If my car's body and paint looked as good as your before pics, I would have been happy with that and left it alone. Makes my car look like a real dog...sorry, no offense to dogs (wife and I are dog lovers).
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

69houdini

• 69 SS X55 Butternut Vert / 68 Z28 Rally Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 01:11:06 AM »
Good for you! My 68' Z28 was in paint shop prison for 10 months, just saw the final stages of clear coat sprayed on it today. Good things go to those that wait is a BS analogy, it's more like squeeky wheels get the grease! I don't complain or cry wolf and I'm very patient and I won't change now. You have to be patient in this hobby and not rush things, the right parts are out there and you just have to look and then look some more and know what you're buying. Everybody says "I can't wait 'till I get it: but believe me...we can, and do wait and it seems like forever! I wish everybody the best of luck on their projects!

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:50:58 AM »
I'm sure you are excited..  I know I will be once I'm to that stage with my Z..   Congrats!! ;D

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 03:51:26 AM »
Congrats janobyte!  And to those of you waiting, it took me 18 years of planning and collecting parts 'til I saw the finished product.  But gotta the finished product was well worth the wait.  Would I do it again?  You betcha, I think I could cut a few of those years off though with the knowledge I've gained.   Much of it Thanks to CRG.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 02:12:36 PM »
To be honest the " build" never truly ends ,if that's what you enjoy most in this hobby. I " been there done it" with this car around 10 years ago--shows, cruising , drags. Different motor/trans combos--fiberglass hood, semi gloss frame/engine compartment-- chrome--billet. And that was me--Dad had different rim combos ,and ran a ProRam 2 intake with dual center squirts--no hood.  Ran like a raped ape over 5K--never had it to the track with that combo. Traction bars, ladder bars ,frame ties Accel--Mallory--MSD.

#1 owner removed the air pump ,plugged the exhaust manifold and sold it within the year for a good profit--his overall intentions I believe.
#2 Hideaways(67), spoiler, cowl hood , stripes , torque thrusts ,4:88's,Hurst,Sun,console,air shocks , lowered front springs ( they were screwed up and I replaced in 90)

I had the quarters resprayed, but they never quite matched when the sun hit it ,every top crease was showing metal from years of over waxing , silver dollar size hole pass side fender(rocker area) lips of front lower quarters getting some pin holes ,front fender tops showing signs of wear from years of leaning over it-----this was all I saw when I looked at it.

Loved the drags but did not want to start twisting it up so never took it out of the mid 12's.
Last time out was at a Super Chevy meet at Norwalk .Sometime  early 2000,time slips are in the glove compartment. Car was well received being an over 30 year old car in such "great shape"  Day 2 before the term was coined: skinny front runners ,black rear corvette rally rims with slicks screwed on, color matched glass hood with snorkel scoop ,cowl mounted tac and gauges. Deep down I always wanted to tear it all down, record the numbers and put it back to what it looked like in the early 70's----no big stretch. Not the most popular color--I really don't like it but it is correct. I had several color combos picked out but never pulled the trigger.  So in the back of the shop it sat covered up.

Went in with my Dad on rebuilding his Anglia for gasser meets ,picked up a "garage find" 68 SS El Camino (priced right) and began tearing down. Everyone was on me to do something with the Z. Dad point blank said " rebuild it or sell the damn thing !" My wife asked why I was working on junk ( Arizona car, SS wasn't junk) while my Camaro sits. We also slammed together a 32 pickup for my son's FHA weld project: open header 327 ,mustang 2 front end, disc all around---cool 3 week build ! He took 1st.

I actually emailed Jerry M. a few winters ago and asked his opinion which direction to go with the Z ,bone stock is not the car I want--he recommended Day 2 ( didn't know the meaning)

Full circle is what it means---to around 69 anyway.

So last summer I was stuck in traffic heading into Cleveland , called my buddy at the shop and asked if his schedule was clear. His reply was yes, been waiting since 79 to do that car! Now he is very slow but a perfectionist . I know this. You do not push him. Told him it's his baby ,10 months or 10 years he sets the pace. 4 days in cars stripped , my front lower quarter patch panels should be in today. For 2 pieces of sheet metal about the size of my thumb----but I'm not questioning.

And that fellow 1st generation enthusiast is my story----may be ready for next summer nats ,may not. But when I run into some of you ,this car's going to be "right" And when I'm bored with it in this configuration , the flat hood, OE exhaust goes back on. I'll be retired, she'll be retired-----fold down the back seat ,throw the clubs in the back , and go golfing.

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 02:32:01 PM »
KO-LEK-TOR

You are correct ! 1986 I bought a 64 Impala SS Convertible while home on leave---numbers car, a lot of mud under the paint but did look good--fresh engine rebuild by a noted local. I wanted it all steel so into the body shop it went. This was #1 guy in the area who I knew my whole life. Long story short: glides in the Anglia, 327's on the stand. Turned into a law suit were the only ones who won were the lawyers. Traded what was left of the cut up body for a paint job on something . Cragers  are still on a buddy's 55. That was my reward for being to patient.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:41:07 PM »
..... parts deleted....
And that fellow 1st generation enthusiast is my story----may be ready for next summer nats ,may not. But when I run into some of you ,this car's going to be "right" And when I'm bored with it in this configuration , the flat hood, OE exhaust goes back on. I'll be retired, she'll be retired-----fold down the back seat ,throw the clubs in the back , and go golfing.

Nah.. :)  ..    if you drive a '67 Z28 to the golf course, I'd bet you won't pull into the golf club, but instead will be so *thrilled* driving the Z, that you'll decide that a long ride is much better than a long walk..  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
mmm...sounds like you're getting to know me !

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 07:49:19 PM »
To be honest the " build" never truly ends ,if that's what you enjoy most in this hobby.
[/quote)

Well, to be honest I have to agree 100%.  I've already "tweeked" a few things.  And considering a different Trans. (700R4 in place of TH 350, I'm running 4:11 Gears)
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

anything