Author Topic: Racing AMX Information  (Read 112748 times)

Shadow Ahead

• View Profile
Re: Racing AMX Information
« Reply #135 on: December 12, 2013, 07:18:20 PM »
Im going to shift gears, in the meanwhile, back to AMX related matters, though there is a Penske connection involved.
Randall. I want to be careful in my approach. But something has been bothering me and perhaps some light can shine on the best way to approach subsequent information gathering.

Jim Alexander and Phil Toney made a visit to the Randalls sometime in the early 2000's it seems. What is unclear is who they spoke with, and what they saw. But klvn8r spoke with Jim Alexander and his view from that conversation was that someone told Jim and Phil that the former T.E.A.M. #6 car had been crushed. At the very least, the car was unavailable, OR UNRECOGNIZABLE, on the day they visited.

Over the years various other sources have said something akin to that "… the #6 car is believed crushed years ago…","… as far as we know, the #6 AMX was destroyed…" ( paraphrasing in both "quotes" ). Yet, Daniel Strohl from Hemmings wrote an article back in 2005 that the family owns the former T.E.A.M. car. Back then he did not write, owned, but owns. In the present tense when he wrote about it.

Cory Randall has told me (2012) that his family owns the #6 T.E.A.M. car. Strange, yes? And something that needs verification, either way. Time and again, when it comes to checking out the history, specifications, how to do things, you name it, what people say isn't necessarily what is. For things AMC this seems to be particularly true. There are many reasons why but don't wish to get side-tracked.

The important thing is to find out the truth, and the fate, behind this historically vital AMC icon. So, considering the importance of success in finding the real answer, I am soliciting advice from any and all about how to accomplish that.

The Penske connection is the reference in pictures and articles to the '71 Javelin the family owns. It has been described as an ex-Penske car.  Don't know if they still own it or what to look for on it, if they have it, to identify it correctly.

javelin_gt

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 12, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »
More from Ronnie....   "It was not a team car.  If my memory is correct, I think it was one of several that were built as display or show cars.  At this point in time my memory is a bit confused about what was and what wasn’t.  I believe all the team cars are accounted for, but I can’t tell you which are where. "

I am not sure why there was only one team car at Watkins Glen but RKE fielded 2 cars the rest of the season.

Shadow Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 12, 2013, 08:24:04 PM »
According to Jon here, the #4 car was heavily damaged the weekend before at St Jovite 8/3/'69. That is why Ronnie called upon Gordon Dewar- #47 to come down to W G.

Steve

javelin_gt

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 12, 2013, 08:31:33 PM »
Did you just make this up about Kaplan calling Dewar?  It reads like fact which if you made it up you should probably caveat it as such.  

BTW the #4 Javelin driven by Lothar Motschenbacher came in 4th place at St Jovite.  The #3 Javelin driven by Ron Grable was crashed.  

According to Jon here, the #4 car was heavily damaged the weekend before at St Jovite 8/3/'69. That is why Ronnie called upon Gordon Dewar- #47 to come down to W G.

Steve

javelin_gt

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 12, 2013, 08:39:47 PM »
Also for those counting.  If the Dewar car was from Kaplan and wasn't a team car like Kaplan says that makes 4 Javelins from 1969 that I know of.   At least 3 are known to survive although one is missing or was possibly burnt up in a fire.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 12, 2013, 09:16:44 PM »
According to Jon here, the #4 car was heavily damaged the weekend before at St Jovite

I did not say the #4 was heavily damaged, it was the #3. I just flubbed the year.

I'm just curious if the #3 car that was wrecked at St Jovite in '69 was repaired or scrapped and replaced with one of the "spare" team cars.
Jon Mello
CRG

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 12, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »
Guys, not sure if you are still looking for pictures of the #47 Javelin in 1969 or not but there were several taken at the Trophé Gulf Canada which took place at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant, Mont-Tremblant, Québec on May 25, 1969.  See the pictures here: http://www.autocourse.ca/photos/saison1969/25mai-gulf/touringcar/index.html   It is part of the autocourse.ca.
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 12, 2013, 11:04:10 PM »
Another Javelin seems to have participated in Les 6 Heures ACAM du Circuit Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant, Mont-Tremblant, Québec sometime in October of 1969.  See the pictures of this Javelin here: http://www.autocourse.ca/photos/saison1969/octobre-6heuresACAM/octobre-6heuresACAM.html   These pictures also came from autocourse.ca

Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

Shadow Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2013, 01:48:49 AM »
According to Jon here, the #4 car was heavily damaged the weekend before at St Jovite

I did not say the #4 was heavily damaged, it was the #3. I just flubbed the year.

I'm just curious if the #3 car that was wrecked at St Jovite in '69 was repaired or scrapped and replaced with one of the "spare" team cars.

I'm sorry Jon, I didn't double check what you had said earlier and mixed the two cars up, 3 & 4.

Steve

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2013, 03:14:47 AM »
No offense taken, Steve. Just setting the record straight.
Jon Mello
CRG

Shadow Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2013, 05:35:48 AM »
Did you just make this up about Kaplan calling Dewar?  It reads like fact which if you made it up you should probably caveat it as such. 

BTW the #4 Javelin driven by Lothar Motschenbacher came in 4th place at St Jovite.  The #3 Javelin driven by Ron Grable was crashed. 

Steve

My bad! I drew a conclusion, Adam. Looks like it deserves more research.

By the way, thanks again for contacting Mr. Kaplan and getting his thoughts on the Dewar car. That information says volumes and I appreciate you reaching out to him.

Steve

Shadow Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2013, 05:47:21 AM »
Guys, not sure if you are still looking for pictures of the #47 Javelin in 1969 or not but there were several taken at the Trophé Gulf Canada which took place at Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant, Mont-Tremblant, Québec on May 25, 1969.  See the pictures here: http://www.autocourse.ca/photos/saison1969/25mai-gulf/touringcar/index.html   It is part of the autocourse.ca.

( Boy- I am not on it today -I got this all cocked up the first time )We can see the source of one of the pics Adam provided earlier. So, this is earlier in the season. I'll see if the results are available.

Steve

Shadow Ahead

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2013, 06:56:10 AM »
The car was there and it looks like it started on the outside second row. But the only results I see for Dewar are on 6 July and 20 July of 1969.

S A

javelin_gt

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2013, 07:58:38 PM »
Speaking of the Bannerman AMX.  I have a photocopied proposal to build and run the car.  Its about a 12 page packet.

thegarageguy

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2013, 05:13:51 PM »
I would LOVE to have this, could you scan the whole thing? Bob Bannerman actually showed the original to me a few years ago. He had a bunch of stuff from the build. I may contact him again soon.

anything