Author Topic: ACC carpet texture ???  (Read 8681 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
ACC carpet texture ???
« on: September 30, 2013, 01:40:48 AM »
The popular opinion is that ACC makes the best carpet. I went ahead and bought one for my '68 a couple years back when they were on sale from Rick's to tuck away for future use. It was past the 30 day return period by the time I laid it out and took a good look at it.

I was disappointed in the texture. It looked like something had been dragged over it, raising some of the loops, and making the texture course. I used to have a JC Whitney carpet in there years ago and it was smoother than this one.

I know it is hard to understand what I am talking about without actually seeing it. If I can take a picture in the morning that will show it, I will post it.

So I am wondering what other people thought when they pulled their ACC carpet out of the box. Did anyone's look the same way? If they do, will it smooth out after it is installed? Or did I possibly get a bad one?

Thanks......Dave

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Re: ACC carpet texture ??? I added photos !
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »
Here are some photos. You can see where some of the loops are bigger and stand higher than others. These photos were taken with the light coming from in front of me which makes it more noticeable. You can't see it as much if the light is coming from behind you. I know you are not going to have light like that inside the car and it may not be noticed that much but it seems a nerw carpet shouldn't look like this.............But maybe they all do......I don't know.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: ACC carpet texture ???
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:25:34 PM »
Don't know that much about ACC, but that does look rough... Have you tried vacumning it several times, especially with a vacumn that has a beater bar?  Some carpets look bad, and even don't look like the right color, when they are first unrolled.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »
Phillip,

I agree with your post; I think he should vacuum it and see if it looks better..   (carpets typically do not look great right out of the box)...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:19:20 PM »
Well if it were mine, and regardless of the return period expiry, I would contact ACC customer service and email them these photos for an opinion. They *may* offer to help you out if that isn't within normal quality control standards (although someone should have checked it before it left the factory....)
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Azure1969Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:55:05 PM »
That looks like ass sandwich. I say send it back.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
I am going to e-mail ACC and include these pictures and see what they have to say.....and then go from there. If I don't get anywhere with them, I will try the suggetions given to me here and over on the Team Camaro website also.

Thanks.....Dave

jims69

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 01:53:19 AM »
It looks like a mess; almost like its "snagged"; or worn  in multiple places.    You should email pictures to them, and see what they have to say.
Your car deserves better carpet than that stuff.   Good luck             Jim 

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
I want to update on how this turned out.

First off, when I looked back through my receipts, I was shocked to see it had been five years since I bought this carpet. Not a couple like I had stated. Time is flying faster than I thought. Irregardless, when I first opened it up, it looked just like it does now.

I wrote to ACC, sent the pictures I posted here and on TC, and also copied and pasted the comments made here and on TC about how people thought the carpet looked.

I wasn't really expecting them to do much. What I was really after was to find out if this was how they all their carpet looked and I if shouldn't expect any better...... or if it was, in fact, a defective carpet. At least then I could make a choice to buy another ACC or try a different company. We went  back and forth with a few e-mails and they finally said that they felt my carpet was a "valid" carpet set. After reading that, I thought, OK, that's that! So I replied and said this would be my last e-mail to them about it but asked if they could give an opinion as to why so many other Camaro enthusiasts who saw these pictures, thought the carpet looked bad.

I got a reply that didn't answer that question but they did offer to send me a new carpet it I sent then the old one back and if I would pay for the shipping on the new one. After five years had gone by, I thought that was fair enough. It cost $16 to ship the old one back and $13 to ship the new one.

My new carpet came this past Friday and I am pleased with it. It looks much better than the first one.

It took a little nudging but ACC took good care of me on this.

Dave

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 02:36:39 PM »
That's th way it ought to be!  Congrats!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

jims69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »
Glad it worked out for you.   Refreshing news to hear of a company that did the right thing for their customer.

Jim

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 08:23:01 PM »
I would like to see pictures of the new carpet at the same points taken on the old. It would be interesting to actually see the difference. If it's to much work, no problem. And just an FYI... there is no such word as irregardless. It's regardless only, in all grammatically correct sentences. That's why when you right click on it, it shows the word regardless ONLY. Just something good to know for fun  ;D... Danny

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 02:44:16 AM »
My ACC carpet looks fine as far as texture.  My only beef was the jute fiber glued to the back was all wrong.  Spent an evening shaving most of it off on the pool table, then re-gluing it where it should have been.

Don't feel bad Dave for letting time fly by.  I bought mine in 2001 and installed in 2013.  I AM a slacker.

But that isn't as bad as my 2013 install of emblems I bought in 1977!!!!