Author Topic: What is the quality of reproduction windshield and rear glass chrome moldings?  (Read 8752 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Hey guys,

I am getting ready to put my 69 back together after its new paint job, and looking at my original chrome moldings.  They are rough, with lots of scratches and dings and dents everywhere.  Finding NOS ones are either impossible or way too expensive.  Are the repro's any good?  I have read they are quite thin and prone to bending and dents, do not shine like OE, and fit horribly.  What is the consensus on these?

Also, if repro's are out of the question, who do you suggest for sending these out to have them made nice again?

Thanks,

Steve

sdkar

• View Profile
I have come across these where D&R state that these have same thickness as OE.  As for shine, they state they are brighter than OE.  The price is nice and they sound good, but is the claim too good to be true.  just trying to see if I should have my OE sent out, or buy these.  Has anyone bought these from D&R?  Anyone know who the original manufacturer is that they get them from and are they known for good quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-67-68-69-Windshield-Molding-5-pc-OE-SHOW-QUALITY-/370369308991?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1969%7CModel%3ACamaro&hash=item563bbb293f&vxp=mtr#ht_199wt_1163

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-67-69-Rear-Glass-Molding-set-5pc-OE-SHOW-QUALITY-/270612354261?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1969%7CModel%3ACamaro&hash=item3f01c0d4d5&vxp=mtr#ht_239wt_921

Is there a superior reproduction set better than these?  Who has the best quality of these for the best price?

Thanks again,

Steve

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
I'd be surprised to see windshield and rear window mouldings scratched, dented or bent..   what from???   I'd think the typical *original/used* mouldings could be pretty easily polished to be much better and longer lasting than any reproduction (but, that said, I haven't done it on a Camaro, so...??)..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Sauron327

• View Profile
Call these people about refurbished GM moldings, they may take your cores in trade. I've spoken with them before. They have received positive reports on forums. They are not flash chromed like originals. EBay Seller: brunte6915 http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-68-69-CAMARO-R-WINDOW-TRIM-NOS-TOP-PIECE-ORIG-GM-PROFESSIONALLY-POLISHED-/281158862541?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41765fc6cd#ht_949wt_919

I see they are now buying up any NOS pieces available.  

They get dented and bent because have no clue how to remove and install them. Damage also occurs from collision shop repairs.

HB City stocks what they claim are quality repros but I'd want a guarantee on that. I've seen other inferior repro moldings and they are horrible looking and very thin. I've straightened and polished them and it's labor intensive.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 11:35:01 PM by Sauron327 »

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
(/quote)
They get dented and bent because have no clue how to remove and install them. Damage also occurs from collision shop repairs. /quote]

OR,,,some "handy-dandy" drilled holes in the corners to hold them on, like mine.  The 2 bottom Rear Glass Moldings had holes drilled in ea. corner and in the center, and used screws to hold them on.  Needless to say I replaced those 2 pieces, but the rest of mine I found a good person that re-polished them as needed.  they are all back on the car now and you can't tell old from the new.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

joesauer

• View Profile
Check out Sherm's Plating in Sacramento, Ca.  (shermsplating.com).   They can repair/polish/replate/anodize your old ones.  Not inexpensive, but they do lots of custom work, & many of the rods featured in Street Rodder mag.

sdkar

• View Profile
Okay, I went ahead and bought both front and rear sets from Matts Classic Bowties.  They stated that these are not the Corvex cheap ones and instead, the Golden Star brand and are the same thickness as OE, and stainless steel as opposed to polished aluminum, are show quality and technically correct.  Has anyone had any experience with these from this manufacturer? 

I will keep you guys posted on what I find out. 

Steve 

sdkar

• View Profile
Okay, I received the complete front and rear sets and here is what I have found.  They are horrible.  I did not buy the cheapest set out there.  I even asked personally, about the quality and was assured these were as claimed in the ad.  They are CHL brand, and advertised as "Show quality sets include original thickness polished stainless steel and are technically correct.". 

These are not show quality or polished.  I took my original set that are scratched to hell and dented and dinged, put a quick 20 second rubbing of Wenol polish on them, and they are way brighter than these reproductions.  These new pieces, even after being polished with Wenol polish, are a dullish gray with some typing of fine hazed lines embedded into the metal.  Also, they are nowhere near OE thickness as claimed.  For example, I took two same pieces and weighed them.  The OE piece was 2.8 oz, whereas the reproduction piece was 2 oz.  I then took my digital caliper and got .020 inches on the OE and .015 on the repro piece.  So, I can only conclude the CHL pieces are false in their claim.  These will have to be returned as they are NOT show quality, nor even close to looking like OE.

I visited D&R Classic and they have a set that is about $100 more that they claim is superior to all other reproductions and also claim show quality, OE thickness and new tooling.  I was told they are not CHL, so I will order these and report my findings. 

How is it we have advanced 45 years in technology, and cannot reproduce a simple strip of stainless molding?

Charley

• View Profile
I have used the same Ebay seller Sauron mentioned above and had good luck with him.

sdkar

• View Profile
According to D&R Classic, they use a company called Tri Plus for their chrome moldings.  Has anyone had any experience with these?  How would they compare to CHL or OE?

Sauron327

• View Profile
Tri-Plus is one of the largest importers of repro parts to the collison industry. Whether they actually manufacture those moldings is unknown. They must be inexpensive to avoid buying GM moldings.

anything