Author Topic: Need to remove hardened adhesive from glass.  (Read 5436 times)

1968guppy

• 4D 68 LOS; Paint L-2; Engine LF7; RPO Z87.
    • View Profile
Need to remove hardened adhesive from glass.
« on: September 05, 2013, 12:57:43 PM »
I got some rubber molding adhesive on the drivers side window and now cannot take it off. I do not want to scratch it with anything unknown because it is a numbers matching window. The hardened drip has been reduced to a very thin layer by applying Goo Off and various other adhesive removers. Yet, ultimately, what remains of the stain, is still there and cannot be wiped off. Even after many attempts. Any advice on what solvent to use without damaging the glass. And yes, I have carefully tried, on several attempts a razor blade with no success. Thanks in advance.

Charley

• View Profile
Re: Need to remove hardened adhesive from glass.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
lacquer thinner works on most things like that.

1968guppy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 01:03:32 PM »
I have tried lacquer thinner.  It is the most difficult stain to take off.  And it is glass I am dealing with which can easily scratch.   I will need something much stronger than that and yet without damaging the glass.  Thanks for the quick response.

1968guppy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 01:08:20 PM »
Quite honestly,  it might not even be rubber adhesive. I was not the one who installed the rubber so it is difficult to know what actually occurred and what the stain consist of.   I just am assuming it is adhesive because it is in the form of a very thing layer colorization of something that looks like a small drip just underneath the rubber molding area.  The stain is on the upper edge of the drivers side window glass.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 02:14:09 PM »
You probably already know this, but a razor blade WILL scratch glass. I remember using goof off for that kind of thing years ago. I used a cotton swab and rolled it around the area to try to keep it on there, in a little puddle, so it could break it down. But like you said, who knows what it really is... Good luck..... Danny

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 04:16:21 PM »
Have you considered taking it to an automotive glass installation/repair shop?   They may have commercial grade chemicals you don't normally have access to.

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 08:53:15 PM »
have you tried using a very fine (0000) steel wool...many glass cleaners use this to clean windows..it will give you a bite with out scratching the glass

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 10:04:12 PM »
A picture would help.... What color is it?
Sounds like something may have chemically "etched" the surface of your glass.  I've seen this often on a variety of classic car glass, especially where the car sat with "residue" on it for a long time.  If that's what it is, then all the glass cleaners in the world will not fix it.

X2 to what joesauer said above.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

anything