Author Topic: Lobbying pays off  (Read 8680 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Lobbying pays off
« on: August 21, 2013, 08:11:03 PM »
NC has changed the DMV rules for titling an out of state classic car. The NCDMV has to make the inspection within 15 days of the filing of required documentation. I suppose they could dispute the paperwork, but at least it is headed in the right direction.
In the past you could wait a long time on the drawn out process.
How are other states handling this issue?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: Lobbying pays off
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 08:18:28 PM »
In Nevada it was pretty straightforward and easy - at least in my case.  I moved out here from Baton Rouge, LA back in June 2001.  

I first had to go to a certified shop and have the VIN "verified" on both of my two cars ('66 Chevelle & '69 Camaro RS).  The shop verified the VIN and recorded it on a DMV form that I took to DMV.  I think the charge was  $1 / car.  I then went to Nevada DMV and showed them the two verified VIN forms, proof of insurance, existing Louisiana titles and registrations.  Nevada DMV gave me back the LA titles as it wasn't necessary to re-title the cars.  I could re-title if I wanted to, but it wasn't a requirement.  The requirements were:  VIN verification, register them in Nevada, and show proof of insurance.

Both cars remained licensed in NV but titled in LA until just this past July when they were both moved into the family trust which required retitling in Nevada in the name of the trust.  
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 02:14:28 PM »
Both cars remained licensed in NV but titled in LA until just this past July when they were both moved into the family trust which required retitling in Nevada in the name of the trust.   
I'd ask a lawyer about this. I was told trusts and vehicles shouldn't mix. If one of the cars is in an accident, they could pursue the $ in the trust.
Kurt S
CRG

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »
I'd ask a lawyer about this. I was told trusts and vehicles shouldn't mix. If one of the cars is in an accident, they could pursue the $ in the trust.

Please consult with a COMPETENT Lawyer if you haven't already.
My understanding of trust law is as you stated Kurt, the trust was 100% liable for losses over the insurance coverage. 
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 08:03:02 PM »
In Ohio you take the car to a dealer. They check the VIN and mileage and then fill out a form with your name and address with the VIN and mielage. You take that and title with you to title office and then get an Ohio title. Pretty simple.
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 05:23:10 AM »
In Florida you can simply have a cop do this.  Get the proper form, and go to the police dept or if your local cop is service friendly, they will come to your home, and verify the VIN and sign the form for you.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 07:00:17 PM »
Those of you who say it is simple, has the requirement been in effect for several years? The NC reg is fairly new

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 10:15:08 PM »
Been in effect in Ohio since first time I had to do it and that's been 15 years. Don't know when they started it but my guess is there was no inspection required at all before.
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »

Thanks for the input - competent estate attorney put the trust together.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Frosty69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »
Funny, I brought my 69 to NC and applied for a title in Feb 2007. They never looked at the car, asked about the car, it was exempt from regular emission inspections and they took my Salvaged Title from CA and gave me a shiny new clean NC one. Kinda scary.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 06:45:17 PM »
Law is just a couple of years old . They went too far in the other direction. Hopefully coming back to the middke.. .

Older cars are exempt from emissions inspection, restored or not. Not real sure that's a good. Idea ...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 07:13:10 PM by lakeholme »

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »
Here in Delaware if you bring a car in from out of state it has to go thru a state inspection and emissions testing if 1968 and above. If it passes then you can get a title. You have to pay a book value tax as well. I have a 69 Impala I bought last month from Virginia I still need to get registered yet and this is what I was told I HAVE to do, but I can do it anytime I want, there is no time limit on when it has to be done here.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

Frosty69

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 01:18:42 AM »
Law is just a couple of years old . They went too far in the other direction. Hopefully coming back to the middke.. .

Older cars are exempt from emissions inspection, restored or not. Not real sure that's a good. Idea ...

I wondered when they started doing the inspections for out of state cars. I'm glad I got mine in before this started, I understand it has been a nightmare. Hopefully the new law will help. As for the emissions, as long as they are not like CA it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 02:34:30 AM »
Was the change due to salvage & flood type cars from out of state getting clean titles ?
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »
Was the change due to salvage & flood type cars from out of state getting clean titles ?
That and stolen cars.