Author Topic: '68 window fuzzies - ordered Steele.....got Repops  (Read 11283 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
'68 window fuzzies - ordered Steele.....got Repops
« on: July 22, 2013, 03:53:19 AM »
I just received a set of interior and exterior window fuzzies from Steel Rubber Products for my '68 coupe with the deluxe interior and reveal belt line moldings. I choose Steele after researching peoples opinions on this forum and CRG. I am a little bewildered by what I received.  When I opened the shipping box, there was another box in side containing Repops brand fuzzies. There was no mention on Steele's website about then supplying Repops brand.

I thought, well let me check them out and see how they are. If they are fine, the Repops thing is not a big deal. I started out trying to test fit the exterior fuzzies that attach to the reveal molding on the quarter panel. The first problem I had is that the little tabs that fit into the reveal molding and then get bent over are not cleanly punched out. I can't pry then open. I can't even get a thin cutting blade under them to pry them up....... So I set those aside and tried test fitting the fuzzy to reveal molding on the door. I was able to pry these tabs up but the tabs are not centered like the originals. They are offset causing the fuzzy to sit to high and not rest properly on the reveal molding. You can see in my pictures how the original fits under the ridge on the top od the inside flange of the reveal molding and the Repop hits that ridge

Another thing that concerns me is that I paid top dollar for these. Steele's price was the most expensive of any reproductions I have seen. $180 plus $18 shipping. I just saw the same set of Repops on Ebay for $139 with free shipping under "Buy It Now." I wanted to check the price from Repops directly but their website is "under construction." Can anyone say what they paid for the same set of Repops.

So I guess the questions I am asking is....... why did I get Repops from Steele?

Has anyone had the same problems with tabs?

And did I pay too much?

Thanks...............Dave

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: '68 window fuzzies - ordered Steele.....got Repops
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 01:41:10 PM »
I can't comment about ordering Steele and getting RePops.  I bought a set of RePops ages ago for my convertible with reveal moldings and noted the same issues.  Also, the RePops are way too think.  I threw them in the trash (since it was too late to return them).

IMO, your best bet is to order the PUI fuzzies.  They are very close to the originals.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 10:54:36 PM »
I am going to send these back. I'll give the PUI a try.

Thanks for the info...................Dave

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »
You ordered one brand but received something different. You're entitled to return them for the correct product.
It may have just been some kid in a warehouse picking the wrong box. Honest mistake?
Cheers,
Ue.

rat pack

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »
Steele Rubber Products does not manufacture all of their parts, and most of it is bought from Metro or Repops................RatPack...........
Just keep livin......L I V I N .............

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 04:17:53 PM »
This is the way the repro part industry is. Vendors do not make all their own parts and many don't make any, nor do they monitor manufacturing. They may also change their product sources. The part they sell is sold by hundreds of other vendors. You have to ask for details.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 12:43:04 AM »
Dave,
What was the part # on what they sent you?
Did the repop box have a "made in..." on it?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 04:36:54 AM »
Here is a scan of the sticker on the Repops box. Just for the heck of it, I Googled that part number....CA161A. It comes up as the same item from Classic Industries for only $99.99.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 08:55:12 PM »
Thanks!  I know Steele subs out some parts (and I think most of those are things like fuzzies), but I got it straight out of the CEOs mouth a few weeks ago, that those things are subbed to their specifications to an outfit overseas.  Thus, Rat Pack may be right: a repop from another manufacturer.
I took a look at their fuzzies a few years ago and determined that theirs were not the right ones for me: a 68 standard interior with reveal molding.
I've been through their facilities a couple of times over the last few years while they were actually running.  I can tell you this, most of their actual rubber parts are made in house from their own molds and they have thousands of them.  Sorry to hear you had trouble.  As Sauron327 says, "This is the way the repro part industry is...."
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 01:17:15 AM »
I spoke with Steele today. The guy I talked with couldn't have been nicer. He confirmed that they farm this part out. I explained the problems I was having and before I could even ask for a refund, he offered it to me. He gave me a return number to write on the box, said UPS would come by to pick it up, and that he was going to refund my money. Couldn't have been easier!

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »
Ok, so we don't like the Steele or Repop fuzzies.   Who makes the best ones.  I'm looking for some that fit good and look like factory originals.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 12:11:05 AM »
Jeff68 had good luck with PUI. No one else has chimed in a with any other recommendations so I will try the PUI.

Does anyone know where to order the PUI from? I checked their website and they do not sell direct to the public.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 02:11:46 AM »
Many vendors sell PUI and not all are on their website vendor list. The better ones for cars without reveal moldings have rounded bead ends and the correct rear flap on the quarter window felt.

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 04:33:14 PM »
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17