Author Topic: Remove trim tag or not ?  (Read 8862 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Remove trim tag or not ?
« on: July 01, 2013, 10:51:02 PM »
Just looking for a suggestion on which way to go with this. My '68 is at the paint shop now and the firewall is going to painted. My painter is asking me if I want to remove the trim tag to make sure there is no rust behind it, and then re-attach it.....I know anyone who has replaced a cowl has had to do this.

It would be nice to know it there was any rust back there and address it. My concern is re-attaching it with the right rivets and the right sealant inside and making it look like it was never off. Also, the tag is bent forward a little at the top and sticks out from the firewall.... more than a 1/16 inch but less than 1/8 inch. I could never straighten that without it removed.

My firewall wasn't rusty before the restoration started so I don't if there is a real concern for rust behind it or not. The attached photo is before any resoration started. AND I AM WELL AWARE OF THE FEELINGS OUT THERE CONCERNING MESSING WITH THESE TAGS.......My gut tells me to just leave it alone....but I am wondering what others think.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Remove trim tag or not ?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 11:01:28 PM »
Push on the rivets from behind. If you're careful it may pop off with the rivets intact.

There is nothing on a '68 tag to indicate build configuration. You already have photos.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:35:11 AM »
I don't see any need to remove it. If you are worried about existing rust you could soak some wd40 type spray behind it. From what I see in the pic if you take care of the car it will be 50 years before you have a problem behind that tag and probably not even then.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:14:48 AM »
 If you press your fingers on the rivets to hold them in place and gently pull the top center away from the firewall just a little to and see how much rust is there. It's likely surface oxidation and nothing more.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:34:44 AM »
Kind of amusing to read the responses here.

I've seen re-bodied cars and Dynacorn bodies with swapped VINs sell for six figures at major auctions. Repro tags with altered provenance are common. Someone wants to clean up the rust under a '68 tag with no build configuration info on it whatsoever and paranoia reigns.

The sky won't fall if the tag is removed.
Learning more and more about less and less...

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:49:40 AM »
"if it ain't broke,don't fix it". If I saw a masking line around tag, I would feel better about buying car, when and if that time comes. It is only original once, Don't mess with stuff that would make someone question its authenticity. Too many cars out there now are "over restored" IMO. like Mom would say,"quit picking at that scab  and leave it alone".
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:49:59 AM »
"....paranoia reigns"
  Well this is sure the place for that  ;)

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 10:12:43 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.......I am going to follow my first instinct and leave the tag alone.

My body was rebuilt a while back at a shop that just does panel replacements and no paint. The firewall was blasted and epoxy primed at that shop. The tag was well protected when they did it. It is at another shop now for final body work and paint.

Thanks again........Dave

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 11:29:50 PM »
You can order new rivets from trimtags.com that look exactly as original.  I removed my tag from my X44 car, stripped and repainted the entire firewall, and simply re-installed the tag with the replacement rivets.  No problems and still look factory. 

Of course, I had a nice X77D80 tag made up and I am currently selling the car for well over six figures on ebay as an unrestored all original Camaro and see no problem in this, since it is apparent that I did such a great job in installing the new rivets, no one can tell.  (Yes, I'm kidding about this part...but you can get original rivets if you want them to look proper)

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
Well, I am not going to get into the debate :) but the factory used a punch to install the rivets which bent the tabs outward in the back.  it is quite easy to get back there via the cowl opening and bend the tabs enough to to get the rivets out undamaged.  If you are careful, you should be able to reuse the original rivets, a little artfully applied sand colored seam sealer, paint and you are done.  no biggie :D

jims69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 05:00:34 PM »
If it were my car;  I'd leave it alone.   

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 02:42:31 AM »
If it were my car;  I'd leave it alone.   

Ditto
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

onlythebestbuys

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 12:09:46 AM »
Leave it alone....too many cheaters out there...you have an original...keep it that way for proof