Author Topic: '68 door weatherstripping suggestions  (Read 3763 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
'68 door weatherstripping suggestions
« on: June 23, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
I am getting ready to order some of the weather stripping for my doors. I have a '68 with the deluxe interior and the wide stainless steel reveal belt moldings on the tops of the doors.

I am looking for some advise on what manufacturer(s) to use.

Right now, I am going to order:   The interior and exterior side window fuzzies (8 pieces)

The three sided weatherstrip that goes around the sides and bottom of the doors.

The u-shaped door jamb seal that attaches to the forward, top edge of the 1/4 panel.

I have read though many previous threads and it seems that Metro and Steele get the highest marks. And that nothing is perfect  (of course) and that they all some some short comings here or there.

On the fuzzies, I want to get what functions like and looks the most like factory original....and have the correct flat stainless steel bead on the interior pieces.

On the three sided piece around the doors, can anyone comment if the Metro "Supersoft Sponge" rubber is closest in appearance and feel to the original factory pieces?

On the u-shaped door jamb seals, they all sound about the same in their descriptions so I have no idea which to use.

Thanks......Dave

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: '68 door weatherstripping suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
I already commented on the exterior fuzzies, I think PUI is an excellent source for these.

For the door weatherstripping, my vote is for NOS.  I had a few sets of reproductions, but nothing fits & functions as well as NOS.  Be prepared to spend $1000-2000 for the pair.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 11:06:56 PM »
I have never bought NOS weather stripping,so I dont know much about it, how good could it be after 30 plus years?? I did use Metro on my 69 & 73 camaro,I was pretty happy with it. Its up to you as to your intentions for the car.
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:55:23 AM »
 What would be nice is to compare samples of the door seals from the diffrent companies .... And see if one company supplies more than one name brand..

anything