Author Topic: 2013 Monterey motorsports reunion: Who's going?  (Read 19496 times)

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
2013 Monterey motorsports reunion: Who's going?
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:21:02 PM »
If there is a thread about this already, this can be deleted.

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/rolex-monterey-motorsports-reunion

I am obviously a new comer not just to the site but any type of SCCA Trans Am enthusiasm. So new that I don't really know where to go or when to see this stuff. I have seen many pictures of previous "Monterey historics" and would like to know if this is the same event.
 I'd like to go but not if this isn't the same event.

Here's the meat of my question: Will this even have the typical historic trans am cars(AMC/Chevy/Ford)?

Who's going?
Nick

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Monterey motorsports reunion: Who's going?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 11:42:21 PM »
Yes, that's the event you've heard about and seen pictures from.  Yes, the Historic Trans-Am cars will be there.

The Historic Trans-Am race schedule can be seen here... http://www.historictransam.com/Schedule.html

I will be attending the event and I'm sure some others who check in here will be there as well.
Jon Mello
CRG

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 02:02:59 AM »
Thank you very much. To be straitforward, I didn't want to purchase the tickets and drive the distance to find out it doesn't have anything to do with HTA events.

I just have to ask someone who has been to these modern day events: how free are you to roam so you can take pictures of the race? Is it possible to get shots like the pictures in "vintage" threads, or is there some kind of strict access restriction for "normal" people?

It seems like back in the day, you could go just about wherever you wanted at whatever risk you were willing to take. I have a funny feeling the attitude is not quite as passive as that anymore.
Nick

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 02:21:39 AM »
I certainly wouldn't blame you for that. However, there will be a lot more cars there than than just the Trans-Am cars.
Don't go with the idea that it's mostly a Trans-Am event. This event is what many people consider the most prestigious
of the vintage racing events of the calendar year. You will have a good time if you do decide to come.
Jon Mello
CRG

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 03:10:54 AM »
how free are you to roam so you can take pictures of the race? Is it possible to get shots like the pictures in "vintage" threads, or is there some kind of strict access restriction for "normal" people?

You will find you are pretty much free to roam around anywhere you want. Most car owners/support people are more than accommodating and enjoy sharing their cars and stories. Keep in mind that they can be pretty busy getting everything together. The only negative is many of the current owners do not maintain their cars themselves , and as such, don't have a lot of answers if you have technical queries.

Either way, you'll have a great time, and you should have many photo ops during the reunion.
Bob

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 05:36:34 AM »
This event is almost over the top - lots to see and do other than the race track.  I have been 9 times and hope to make it down this year again.  Bring lots of cash for most of the events.  The best
freebie deal is downtown Carmel waiting for the Pebble Beach tour to come into the downtown area on Thurs.  If you need motels etc best book them soon and they will be pricey.  Best bet is maybe Salinas or Gilroy where I stay.

If you want track photo access you will need photo accreditation - contact the media people and send credentials.  You can access the hot pits also if you have a crew pass.

Be sure to visit Chad Raynal's Trans-Am camaro pit - "Trans-Am Central".  See Entry lists on Google "Rolex Monterey Reunion Entries - Mazca Raceway.

Hope to see you guys there.

Robert Barg

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 12:33:38 AM »
John--I was under the impression it might be everything else but TA, so yeah I understand that HTA is a small part. Thank you

Robert--"cash for most of the events": What events are we talking about here? Sounds interesting and I definitely don't want to come unprepared!

I am pretty much sure I'm going now, and luckily enough I have one friend that lives in Santa Cruz and another that is moving I think to Gilroy in July, so I should be OK for that.

As for photo accreditation, yep, that's exactly what I wanted to know and exactly what I thought was the case. I don't have photo accreditation, I'm just a guy with a few cameras. Maybe I could call and pretend to be part of my local community college's newspaper/journalism crew.
hmmmmm...

So Mr. Raynal will be there ey? Boy do I have some questions for that guy!

Thanks you guys, big help. Now the decision is whether to go for one day or all three...
Nick

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »
My personal experience is 2 days at the track - over 500 cars so you need some time to see everything in the paddock.  There are 5 major auctions durintg this week-end, -
Goodings, RM, Bonhams, Russo & Steele, and Mecum.  There is the famous Italian Concorso on the Fri, and also the Quail Motorsports Gathering Fri. and the world famous Pebble Beach Concours Sunday.
The concours events are now pricey and even the auctions charge admission.

There used to be a very good Automobilia display/sale mid-week at the Marriott registration Hotel - not sure if that is still going.

Google up Vintage Motorsports for the calendar of events.

Send me a pm for more info   oldtransamdriver@yahoo.ca 

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 08:01:34 PM »
Here are some shots taken during practice on Saturday morning. These were taken between turn 4 and turn 5.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »
A couple of pre-grid shots prior to the Saturday afternoon race. The #27 is the old Walter Parkins car that used to run as #77. I think
Mike Mulcahy used to own this. First time this car has run in the HTA group. The #25 green Camaro of Karman Cusack and the #48
Camaro of Ed Wheatley were also new drivers and cars to the HTA group.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 08:15:23 PM »
A few shots of the pace lap as the cars were coming down from the corkscrew part of the track.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 08:19:15 PM »
Several shots from the Saturday afternoon race.

Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 08:31:35 PM »
Post race shots heading back to the paddock.

Chad Raynal

Bill Ockerlund

Pat Ryan

Ron Tribble

Robert Kauffman

Bill Godwin, Ed Wheatley, Alex Motola and Karman Cusack

Alex Motola

Jon Mello
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 08:43:01 PM »
The yellow '69 Z28 in the first photo below once belonged, or still belongs, to Rick Sterbins?  (I see Sterbins automotive on the fender...)...  Attached is a photo from the Supercars.net, showing the same car in the 2010 Monterey Reunion.   

http://www.supercars.net/gallery/119513/2484/952175.jpg

I'm almost positive Richard is the same 'Rick Sterbins' I knew from the USAF at Keesler AFB, around the '69-70 time frame.    Rick had raced a '66 Mustang notchback (one of a small handful of Shelby-ized race notchbacks) in Europe and all over, but returned from Europe, sold the Mustang to a friend of mine (Mike Seus) who converted it to the street.  Rick then bought a yellow '69 Z28... :)    I'm guessing this is the same Z28 he bought back then?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 12:46:19 AM »
I had the chance to spend some time underneath the 69' Donohue Camaro.  Very cool.  It worked very well this weekend too!  I have to say that while watching the Walter Parkin's Camaro run there is something wrong with the front end geometry.  I hope they check it out.  The Green Camaro of Karman Cusak was impressive.  Looked great and ran well too.

Camicia

anything