Author Topic: Suggestions Wanted For 1969 Camaro Custom Paint Design  (Read 39608 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions Wanted For 1969 Camaro Custom Paint Design
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 04:17:47 AM »
Okay, I have to admit...I am really considering the Baldwin Motion theme.  However, when I google it, I see about 4 different scheme done on the Baldwin Motion Camaro in 68.  Even the ERTL models have three different hoods, some have no spoiler, some have the stock Camaro spoiler and some have the TA wing.  Some have the stripes different on the back, like the back end is dipped in paint and some not.  Also, some have the SS hockey stick stripe on the side and some do not.  Are these the differences in the phases that were offered by Baldwin Motion?  What is the true look, or are all of them okay to copy?

I have the cowl hood, but will buy the stinger hood if need be.  Since I have the rear wing, that can stay.  So, what would be considered the most correct paint scheme of all the ones out there.  I think it would look great with the car a bright silver and the stripes done in a dark silver.  So, that may be how I go. 

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 04:38:55 AM »
I see the stinger hood...what hood is this one called and where can I buy it?

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?ln=5010.4&aid=443

I see all kinds of different stripes on these cars.  Some with no spoiler, some with the factory spoiler, and some with the TA spoiler.  Also, there is the three hoods I see used.  The cowl hood, the stinger hood, and a hood like posted in the link above. 

If I go with this, I want to be as true and accurate as possible.  Were the difference in the phase I, II, or III Baldwin Motion you bought?  What determined what.  I also see some have the SS Hockey Stick stripe and some without. 

So, in order to be the most accurate, what is the most acceptable?  Which Wing, which stripes, etcs.  What combination made a Phase  one, two , or three.  Anyway, whoever's idea this is, it looks like he has talked me into it.  i just have to buy the new hood and pick my colors.  Which will be silver and dark silver.  The two colors will be very close in shading, like you see on the Shelby GT40.

Please help me just figure out what is considered truest form.

Thanks guys.  I love that I went with all of yoru suggestions.  It is you guys that are designng my car for me.  I just pay the bill. 

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 04:43:05 AM »
Glad I could be of assistance! Motion performance used a few different paint schemes, but the one in the RK Video was the wildest. That was the paint scheme used on the Mexican motion car. You could also follow the stinger stripe over the roof and down the decklid, not out to the side making the back of the car look like a different color. To be totally correct, you will need a set of torq thrusts and vette side pipes .
Buddy
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 04:45:41 AM »
That is the L-88 hood also used by Joel Rosen. I love the look of the stinger hood. Get one that accepts the hood striker unless you don't mind using hood pins.
Buddy
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 10:58:56 AM »
Nothing beats the old 69 green Phase III Motion Camaro look and its L88 hood. 

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 02:48:32 PM »
The L88 hood is cool but I would stop the stripe on the top and not add it to the front part of the hood. If you google motion camaros and go to images there are a load of pics to see what has been offered. For me, I would stay with the Trans Am spoiler if you do the Motion pain scheme. I think that's what sets off that look.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 04:07:23 PM »
Technically its not a TA spoiler, it was custom made with 3 legs  on it, and I think it started life as an Olds or Buick spoiler
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 02:26:43 AM »
 Since All Motion cars were special built,and customers ordered differnet stuff you could see a varitey of hoods or paint schemes.Not all the Motion cars got fiberglass hoods or radical paint...It was something considered too flashy for a few low key street racers who had performance more than looks on their mind! The only red 68 camaro known was a very plain jane with no spoilers no stripes other than factory and steel SS hood.Just a 427 with minor up grades and you got a Motion camaro that look like all the other 396 cars!The 69 camaro phase 3 stripe is the coolest paint scheme for me and as Mark pointed out the rear spoiler was custom made with 3 stands was used for 69 cars.Motion got really noticed in the 70s and started the pointed side stripes so what ever turns your crank will be just as creative as anything back in the day!

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 03:58:04 AM »
they would build their customer whatever the customer wanted... if it could be bolted or sprayed on *S*

I still have some old car mags from '68 or so, describing/testing the Baldwin Motion Camaro, I still remember reading their 0-60 times and being disbelieving.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 06:50:57 PM »
Since All Motion cars were special built,and customers ordered differnet stuff you could see a varitey of hoods or paint schemes.Not all the Motion cars got fiberglass hoods or radical paint...It was something considered too flashy for a few low key street racers who had performance more than looks on their mind! The only red 68 camaro known was a very plain jane with no spoilers no stripes other than factory and steel SS hood.Just a 427 with minor up grades and you got a Motion camaro that look like all the other 396 cars!The 69 camaro phase 3 stripe is the coolest paint scheme for me and as Mark pointed out the rear spoiler was custom made with 3 stands was used for 69 cars.Motion got really noticed in the 70s and started the pointed side stripes so what ever turns your crank will be just as creative as anything back in the day!
they would build their customer whatever the customer wanted... if it could be bolted or sprayed on *S*

I still have some old car mags from '68 or so, describing/testing the Baldwin Motion Camaro, I still remember reading their 0-60 times and being disbelieving.. :)

As stated, Joel Rosen (aka; Baldwin Motion) would put any aftermarket stuff on your car that was available. And many customers didn't go for the "flashy" striping, many looked like your everyday SS car.  Some were even more of a "sleeper"  427 Biscaynes or Bel Airs.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »
Okay, the credit goes to whoever posted the RK Camaro.  I like it and that is the scheme I'm going to use.  Thank you.  As for the colors, I am still staying with a Silver/Charcoal combination.  Not sure if the colors are going to be similar in shade, as shown in the pics posted, or a silver and darker charcoal metallic pearl.  I really like the way the darker metallic pearl charcoal looks in the sun, but not sure how it will look against the bright main silver color.

Thanks again for everyone's help.  All who contributed helped pick this color and scheme.

Steve

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 09:27:55 PM »
Steve, are you just going to paint the back end as shown in the pic or is there more paint to that car?
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 10:07:22 PM »
In response to 69Z28...I am going to paint the car the same as the RK Camaro (see video)     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJVmY8ee44.  Which has the back end painted along with the center stripe going up and over the roof and down the stinger hood as well as the SS hockey stick stripes on the side.  I have removed all the emblems, side marker lights, and door locks to try and achieve a cleaner look.  However, I will still install lower rocker moldings, qtr grilles, OEM wheel well moldings, and raindrip moldings.  If I can, I want to see if I can achieve a brushed nickel look on all the chrome, including the bumpers, as I think that would look nice.  I am looking into some techniques on how to do this, so we will see.  The wheels are smoked chrome 5 spoke, so all the colors should go together nicely...I hope. 

I posted the silver/charcoal photos to show the two colors I was considering.  Either similar shades as shown in the pics, or possibly a silver/darker pearl metallic charcoal...not sure which.  My painter is going to do a mock paint up of the colors for me to compare, which I think is darn awesome of him.  Luckily, the guy I chose to paint my Camaro is a car guy himself and seems just as excited about this scheme as I am. 

I was looking at two tones, and also considering just going with the Z stripes like everyone else has, when I posted my confusion and indecision here for some paint ideas.  Luckily, you guys came up with the Baldwin Motion idea and I have to say...it does look awesome.  It is something very different and very cool.  I have the stinger hood on order and should see it soon.  I hope it fits as well as the cowl hood I installed as the body lines on it are lined up nicely and near perfect and I hope I get the same quality and fitment with the stinger hood.

So again, thanks to all who contributed ideas.   

PS:  anyone in south Florida need a nearly new unpainted Camaro cowl hood...cheap...hehe.

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 11:05:58 PM »
I really like the look of your car...I'm going to throw something at ya....how about no bumpers on the car..smooth out the back..no bolt holes, no ridges or bumps..just a smooth back end...for the front also no bumper..no door handles..not even a side mirror..in other words..just the silhouette of a 69...  kinda like the 50's hot rodders(back to the 50's) but with a newer car(69)..just don't chop the roof..if you wanted to go farther..no drip rail..no chrome around the windows..now picture that in your color scheme...just thinking out loud..Scott

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2013, 12:40:58 AM »
Good idea, but for me...the 69 is not quite the car that can easily go without bumpers.  The 67 and 68 have a front end that looks terrific sans bumper.  But the 69 has the indents in the corners and the grille fastening that needs a bumper.  Besides, I want to get the bumpers brushed nickel along with the door handles and other chrome stuff to add to the look of the car.

Also, since everyone here is so darn helpful, I have another question.  What is the opinion on a hood tach with the stinger hood.  Did Baldwin Motion cars get the hood tach and is there a pic anywhere out there that shows what the hood tach would look like on the stinger hood.  Let me know what you guys think.  The car goes to paint jail just after the 4th of July.