Author Topic: Original battery hold down bolt  (Read 18680 times)

big iron

• View Profile
Re: Original battery hold down bolt
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 05:15:04 PM »
John,
How would the bolt stay tight at half of it's recommended torque?
Is the plastic case compressing and compensating for the lack of bolt stretch or are the teeth on the conical washer keeping the bolt tight?
Bob

"Recommended torque" on a fastener is determined by Fastener Engineering based on the type of joint and the joint materials involved; the fastener's job is to establish and maintain clamping force in the joint, and the torque required to do that is a function of the materials in the joint.
In this case was the conical toothed washer used to maintain clamping force because of the soft joint? If not, why was toothed washer specified in this case?
Bob

I guess you'd have to ask the responsible release engineer about the specifics.
John,
Thank you for your input to my questions and as always I usually learn something from your replies.
Any DRE engineers out there that could respond to my final question would be appreciated.
Bob

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 06:03:31 PM »
Clamping force required, that's all. They worked out the force required for the battery and generated the spec. Sure don't want to have the battery loose or crack the case.
Kurt,
I can agree with you fully if the bolt 3758783 is as Chick described from his 68 survivor. But if we assume that the bolt 3758783 is a lead point with a toothed conical washer as on other survivors, we have to ask, which style bolt is correct? If they are both correct then the AIM's are incorrect and can be noted.
Bob

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 08:52:39 AM »
I'm missing how which bolt affects the torque question.

btw, I was a D&R engineer. :)
Kurt S
CRG

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 11:53:45 PM »
Guess I'm trying to know more about the washer being a conical toothed washer as I've not noted one of those. JohnZ's seems to be the same as the examples I have but maybe something is different below. The clamp is not what I'd expect to see as correct as most originals have two indents.

Here is what I deem an original off one of our cars with the original battery hold down clamp (has two indents).

Large type captured washer approximately .87 thousands of an inch in diameter.

The underside of the washer-
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 08:39:54 PM »
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2899.0

Maybe JohnZ can re-post the pic. I couldn't get it to open.
To All,
Before we go further, please read Phillip's attached thread as we seem to have a communications gap.
Two different style bolts and two different style conical washers = my questions. Which style and if both ( AIM indicates only one), then why the lead point and conical toothed washer?
Bob

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=2899.0

Maybe JohnZ can re-post the pic. I couldn't get it to open.
To All,
Before we go further, please read Phillip's attached thread as we seem to have a communications gap.
Two different style bolts and two different style conical washers = my questions. Which style and if both ( AIM indicates only one), then why the lead point and conical toothed washer?
Bob

JohnZ posted his bolt on this thread reply #2 so that answered or took care of what Phillip was referring to, i.e. "maybe JohnZ can re-post his pic", or at least I thought it did Bob. And I do not see a conical toothed washer on his bolt he posted, only a captured washer the approximate same size as what we both have communicated but maybe John can clarify. 
The only thing I've noted unique on this part # is the large diameter of the captured washer which I'm not aware of it being used anywhere else on the car as I went through all screws, bolts, etc. in my 68 AIM looking for similarities back sometime ago.  Here is one more original exactly like others except for supplier name.

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 03:20:31 AM »
I would agree these bolts all appear the same. 7/8" washer.
Kurt S
CRG

Marty

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 03:23:53 AM »
My original bolt was missing but I have one off a 68 full size car from the junkyard. It's the same as those shown, 0.87" diameter captured washer, 0.060" thick, tapered tip, length about 29/32" length from washer to tip. Mine has the RBW head markings with the three lines and dot under the B, so a little different than the one already posted.
Martin
Martin Foltz
CRG Member
68 Van Nuys Camaro

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 05:33:37 PM »
Mine, which I believe to be original, is a 5/16"-18 recessed hex head with a captured conical washer and a reduced-diameter round flat point (we called them "dog-point" bolts in the plant).
[/quote]
Washer is 7/8" in diameter, and it does have serrations ("teeth") on the bottom.
John,

Two different styles of washers and two different styles of bolts = ?
Bob

anything