Author Topic: 1969 Endura VE3 Load Rest / Jack Hook - Original vs Reproduction  (Read 12406 times)

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
When I purchased my 69 RS/Z28 with a factory installed Endura (VE3) bumper, as is often the case the jack and its related parts were missing. I located an original base, ratcheting mechanism, mast, J hook, wing nut and lug wrench with relative ease however was unable to locate an Endura jack hook.  I decided to purchase a reproduction from HBC and although its well made and a reasonable approximation of the original, it was just too fresh and shiny rather than "survivor original" in keeping with the rest of the car so after a considerable search I located the original hook pictured here. As the Endura VE3 jack hook is reasonably rare and not often photographed in captivity I thought I would post a few photos of the original and the reproduction as I have not seen a similar comparison posted anywhere else.  

Overall dimensions and weight are similar however there are several subtle differences:

The arch of the hook's backbone is more pronounced on the reproduction and the midsection of the arch is wider. Although it is difficult to see, and oxidation may play a part, the paint color on the original is a darker less intense shade of blue. The bottom and top ends of the original also have a finer taper. From this side angle the tabs on the back of the mask bracket are slightly bent upward on the original.

The hole located in the mid arch is positioned higher and the mast bracket is bent at a much steeper angle on the original hook.

This top down view of the back of the mast bracket shows a more defined die cut of the tabs and a straight cut and alignment vs slightly flared tab ends on the reproduction.

In this photo the difference in the angles of the mast brackets is quite noticeable. Also the die cut of the original braket is more defined or crisp vs the reproduction.

The stamping around the main rivet is more elongated on the original and the crush end of the rivet is domed in the center vs flat on the reproduction.

The font used for the "VE3" stamping is the same however is better defined and has better horizontal alignment on the original. The rivet is slightly larger and far more bulbous shaped on the reproduction hook.

The "CAMARO 1969 UN" stamping on the original uses a slightly larger point size and is shallower however the same font is used. Centering and horizontal alignment is better on the original. The edge radius of the stamping on the orignal is also wider. The rivet is painted on both and the original has a wider lip  

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 05:36:07 AM by Edgemontvillage »

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Endura VE3 Load Rest / Jack Hook - Original vs Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:54:07 AM »
Great presentation. It's great to see these parts viewed in this manner so we can choose whether to look for original or buy reproductions site unseen. Unless you have an original part to compare with, it is often hard to comparison shop.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 08:16:55 AM »
Good write-up Lloyd! Are you able to say where you got the original from? The few that I've seen for sale have been priced as though made of solid gold....
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 02:35:02 PM »
Great presentation. It's great to see these parts viewed in this manner so we can choose whether to look for original or buy reproductions site unseen. Unless you have an original part to compare with, it is often hard to comparison shop.

Gary, considering that the hook and jack assembly is stored under the spare tire and rarely sees the light of day, budget and personal preference dictate choices here. I have been painstakingly working through correcting many details on my car for the past couple of years and really wanted to continue in the theme of correct, original parts only.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:53:16 PM by Edgemontvillage »

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 02:49:19 PM »
"Good write-up Lloyd! Are you able to say where you got the original from? The few that I've seen for sale have been priced as though made of solid gold...."

I wish I could brag that I found the hook on a weekend swap meet archaeological dig however I didn't, I purchased it from a parts vendors.

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 03:05:08 PM »
Lloyd, thank you for taking the time to do the write up - not hared to do, but it takes time.

Congrats on the find.....you have become a real master on locating these orig parts....

Can u help me find a AC convert fender baffle?
Eddie  Montini

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 04:15:24 PM »
I'm surprised that any vendor spent the money to design and develop the dies to reproduce that hook, in view of the potentially VERY low demand for the part.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 05:26:19 PM »
I'm surprised that any vendor spent the money to design and develop the dies to reproduce that hook, in view of the potentially VERY low demand for the part.

John, me too, however its a pretty nice part as compared to so many hastily produced, low fidelity reproduction parts in the market. 

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 05:29:27 PM »
Lloyd, thank you for taking the time to do the write up - not hared to do, but it takes time.

Congrats on the find.....you have become a real master on locating these orig parts....

Can u help me find a AC convert fender baffle?

Eddie, coming from you that's is a high complement, very kind. It took me over a year to locate the hook and then I had to make my check book bleed to get it. A mixed blessing.

zman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
John I agree but theres no telling how many repop bumpers have been made, really a moot point who would ever use a bumper jack on these bumpers? when I was 18 I tried mine not knowing any better and well all I can say is it wasnt pretty, never again
Rich
69 RS/Z DZ302 Daytona bumble bee
69 T/A clone LS6/6sp
69 Nova SS 396

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »
I was always wiring up my floor jack in the trunk whenever I take the car out...just in case, ya never know. Now I have a scissors jack I carry instead from an old S10. I still need to modify the cranking handle but what I have works great anywhere I put it under the car. Never have to use the bumper jack.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 10:23:12 PM »
Lloyd, in the pictures it appears that the 4 tabs on the mast bracket are slightly thicker on the repro part than on the original. Is that so, and (if correct) is the steel used throughout the repro version of a heavier gauge?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 03:56:33 PM »
Lloyd, in the pictures it appears that the 4 tabs on the mast bracket are slightly thicker on the repro part than on the original. Is that so, and (if correct) is the steel used throughout the repro version of a heavier gauge?

Tim, good observation, the steel used in the reproduction hook appears to be 10 gauge and the original uses 11 gauge.   

Reproduction

Original

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:43 AM »
Thanks Lloyd
Tim in Australia.

zman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 10:04:40 PM »
Has anyone bought the aftermarket strap to rivet on an original hook? I was interested in doing this but where to get rivet? Common hardware store ?
Rich
69 RS/Z DZ302 Daytona bumble bee
69 T/A clone LS6/6sp
69 Nova SS 396