Author Topic: 1968 Rally Sport grille research  (Read 307649 times)

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 68 RS center grille
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2006, 05:44:21 PM »
Ed

Looks like we can expect some input from Mark and Kevin in the next few days.....GREAT !!  Just wish we could get more to chime in.

Steve
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 04:57:30 PM by Steve68 »

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2006, 10:26:57 PM »
Mark and Kevin

Steve:

Yes we have swapped the grille out.  i will check the part number on it and the headlight covers.  Going out of town so it will be towards the end of the week before I look at this.

Mark

...Steve, ...I'll read up on the survey thread, ...will surely provide info...

Kevin

Guys I hate to be a pest but any possibility of helping us out with this at this time................please?  :) :) :)

Steve

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2006, 11:29:23 PM »
Les' is also a Norwood car and it's currently FOR SALE ON EBAY!! WHY Les, WHY WHY WHY??

Ed

What's the word Les......did you sell?

Steve

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2006, 01:44:37 AM »
We have had some new folks join CRG since the start of this threat so I thought it would be good to ping it in case they were 68 RS owners and could contribute.  BTW, Kevin and Mark, did you forget us?  :)

Steve

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2006, 03:51:06 PM »
Steve:

Thanks for the offer on the pics.  I will take you up on this.  When i got my car the previous guy had blacked out the grille.  We replaced it with the chromed grille.  Pics attached.  I can not see any part numbers on the old grille.  Where are they located?

Mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSC00120.JPG (60.37 KB, 640x480 - viewed 10 times.)

68ssrs396375m22car 008-1.JPG (38.92 KB, 600x450 - viewed 10 times.)

Report to moderator    Logged 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark

Mark

Here is the picture.  Hope it is what you were looking for.  Also, I would like to move the discussion regarding the grille to that thread if we can so as to keep it all together (that's here folks).  I will copy your response and post it there; so if you don't mind respond there please.  The numbers are on the back of the headlight covers and we don't know if the center grille has a number on it.  Look on the top and bottom edge for us and see if you see one there.  Thanks a bunch Mark.  Oh, what is your build date and is your car  NOR or LOS?

Steve

Ed, I couldn't get the pic's to transfer over.  Don't known if you want to try but it would be nice to have them here if you what to take a shot at it.  Steve
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:58:58 PM by Steve68 »

KevinK

• View Profile
    • Hudson Valley Camaro
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2006, 05:04:09 PM »
...Didn't forget you Steve : ), ...had a busy week, ...then fall Carlisle, ...and then a rainy weekend.
   It is actually sunny here today, ...so I will be able to back the car out and take a look at things (after I read your other post to see what I'm going to look for ;)

Kevin

We have had some new folks join CRG since the start of this threat so I thought it would be good to ping it in case they were 68 RS owners and could contribute. BTW, Kevin and Mark, did you forget us? :)

Steve

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2006, 08:03:39 PM »
Thanks for the note Kevin.  We will be anxiously awaiting.  :)

Steve

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2006, 08:44:31 PM »
Steve:

Thanks for the pic.  It's exactly what i neede to know.  My car is  an 06C car built in Los Angeles.  I have provided some documentation to Kurt as it is a numbers matching L78 (not restamped) so he has a pic of the block stamp and the cowl tag.

I am checking this from work and I will check the other thread when i get home tonight.  I checked the headloght covers this morning but it was early and I don't drink coffee so maybe I overlooked the part numbers.  I'll look again.

Mark

Mark

The HL cover numbers are on the back side in the middle on mine and I think on Ed's and Les' too.  Thanks for taking another look.

Steve

Decided to paste the posts from this thread http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1203.msg6891#msg6891 that are about this thread (68 grille) here to help keep some consistency to things.

Steve

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2006, 10:02:03 PM »
Steve:

There are no part numbers on the back of my HL covers.  See pics attached.  The only number I can see on the back side are a mold cavity number.  It is interesting to see that there are visible sink marks from the injection molding on the driver side, but none visible on the passenger side.  I also can nmot find any part numbers on the grille.

I also have a note on the fan pic thread.  If I could trouble you for one more pic of the fan from farther back?

Thanks
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2006, 11:22:11 PM »
Mark

Do you recall when the "black" grille was replaced was it held in place with rivets?  Was the center grille riveted at the top and bottom with rivets or held in place by bolts?  If rivets were they pop rivets?

Steve

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2006, 11:38:56 PM »
Steve:

The resto shop I had the car delivered to originally did this work so I diod not see it.  Based on the ragged edges of the mounting holes I would say it was riveted.  Look clsely at the pics above and you will see that the driver side door is mounted to the outside flange by pop rivets and the passenger side is regular rivets.  The driver side also has a crack in it visible from the back on the lower right.  All this combined with the obvious sink marks from the molding and I am guessing this was replaced at some point, maybe by lower quality after market?

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2006, 12:13:10 AM »
Mark

Thanks for the reply.  Clear something up for me if you will.  The previous owner, did he tell you the grille had chrome on it and he painted over it?  If that is true, have you tried to remove the black paint to see if the chrome is under there?  If you have not, would you mind doing that to confirm that it did have chrome.

Steve

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2006, 01:26:09 AM »
Steve:

I did not ask him and he did not tell me but I do maintain occasional contact with him and will try to remember to ask.  I plan to try to remove the paint at some point over the winter.  I figure this would be a good thing to do some Sunday while watching football.  We have looooong winters here in Central New York so I have some time.  Not sure yet what I will use as i don't want to hurt the plastic.  I think it is ABS and some chemicals will degrade the ABS so I want to be careful.  I'll have to do some research to see if paint thinner will degrade ABS.  It is my understanding that chromed is correct.

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2006, 01:49:46 AM »
Mark

If you are correct and the grille was riveted there is a chance that it could be the original.  That said the grille may have been black and not been painted.  That's why I asked and thus the research.  It looks right now as though a change could have taken place around 04? but we need more input from folks.  A small amount of lacquer thinner lightly applied will not harm the grille from my experience.

Steve

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2006, 09:19:37 AM »
Steve:

I checked the AIM page 427 and it shows the following:  The headlight covers P/N 3919063-4 are attached to  the plate assembly P/N 3914747-8 by 4 screws P/N 9425501.  The headlight covers are attached to the mouldings (sic) P/N 3919155-6 with rivets P/N 3899834.  Page 5 in the AIM shows the specified method for uspetting the rivets when attaching metal and plastic parts.  Sorry but I should have checked this first.  I do not know if the factory ever used pop rivets, maybe JohnZ or others could help with this.

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

anything