Author Topic: Cowl Hood Relay - Factory Original with Rivet?  (Read 3922 times)

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
Cowl Hood Relay - Factory Original with Rivet?
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:27:43 AM »
I've come across a used cowl hood relay (firewall mounted) and am trying to determine if it is assembly line correct. The relay on my factory installed cowl hood car is the same except without the rivet circled in red. Does anyone with a factory original cowl hood car have a relay with the rivet or is this a non-correct later service replacement?    

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cowl Hood Relay - Factory Original with Rivet?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing that ZL2 relay with a rivet in it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »
It is actually solder. The ground wire is soldered to the case. There is an internal wire.

- Warren
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:12:18 PM by WorkinProgress »

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 03:15:04 AM »
Here I have 2 cowl hood relays (PN 7729602), a used one that appeared in my original post and another which is NOS. The NOS relay is an earlier service replacement as indicated by the box design and shows minor design variations. It uses a open center rivet to attach one of the blades and the base design is also different, perhaps from a different supplier. A more noteable difference is on the front of the case. Both have a drop of solder (as suggested by Warren - WorkinProgress)  however the earlier NOS part also has a (hollow) brass fastener attached to the case where the solder pooled.   

anything