Author Topic: 1969 Camaro RS Headlight Diagnose  (Read 4311 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
1969 Camaro RS Headlight Diagnose
« on: May 17, 2013, 01:07:40 AM »
Okay, I am having one heck of a time figuring this out.  I have a 69 Camaro RS headlight setup.  All hoses are fine, not cracked, and hooked up with no leaks anywhere.  My canisters are working perfectly.  I replaced my tank and my tank relay, thinking they were the problem, but that didn't work.  The hoses under the dash at the headlight switch are attached with no leaks either. 

When I use the override on the vacuum relay, the headlight doors open and close properly.  When I pull the smaller hose off the relay, the doors open, and when I replace it, they close.  If I use the override to open the doors, then turn on the headlights, and then put the override in the "normal" position and shut my headlights off, the doors close.  What I can not do, is get the doors to open under normal circumstances (as in just turning on the headlight switch at the dash).

I have suction on the smaller vacuum relay hose when the lights are off, and no suction when I turn them on. 

Any ideas?  Suggestions?  Thoughts?  Further Questions?

How do I diagnose my dash switch to see if that is the problem?  What line should have suction and when?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. 

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro RS Headlight Diagnose
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 01:10:26 AM »
Probably the slider in the head light switch broke. Common failure.
Learning more and more about less and less...

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 02:26:12 AM »
How do you check the slider? 

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:39:22 AM »
Okay guys, I figured it out.  Somehow, I reversed the hoses at the dash switch.  Not sure when I did this, but if you need to know, the hose with the red stripe goes closest to the firewall and the all black hose is closest to the driver seat.  I simply switched them around and now all works well.  Now, if only I can get the driver side door to close all the way.  I gets to about 1/2" from completely closing and stops.