Author Topic: 0 rocker arms BIG or small 0 ? differences?  (Read 26333 times)

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: 0 rocker arms BIG or small 0 ? differences?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 05:10:13 PM »
I've never replaced rockers on a stock engine rebuild unless there were signs of wear or galling where the oiling had been inadequate.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2013, 05:44:07 PM »
Gary,

They should be kept together, for the same reason as when you pull a cam/lifters/pushrods - I remember reading this in the overhaul manual (many) years ago, that stated the wear-in or hone pattern that develops between the contact surfaces are unique to those parts, and that the parts have to go through the same process if they are mismatched on reassembly, which could cause accelerated wear/premature part failure. I believe that to be on the high side of extremely remote - if you use assembly lube, and lubricate everything like it should be, they'll probably be fine. I still keep mine together, marked or cataloged.

I don't consider myself as a professional engine builder, but I built my first one ('57 PowerPac 283, 30-30 solid GM cam, 327-300 heads, 11:1 TRW pistons, original stamped rockers, 43 years ago; multiple small blocks and big blocks (even a couple of FoMoCo's) since. I have never had a reused stock rocker fail, but I have checked them all for problems before reinstalling them. Last I heard, the original 283 was still at it. It's just a matter of personal preference - I know roller tips are better for geometry and reduced internal friction, but I still will use my "O's" until they give up the ghost, or I do.

Just my opinion -
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 06:44:14 PM »
Some are freaked out about using them mixed and some aren't. Personally I think I would use as is as long as the rubbing surfaces are all good on the rocker and the pivot. I have some big 'O' and little 'O' rockers. Does anyone have any little 'O' to trade for big 'O' rockers?

Gary,

They should be kept together, for the same reason as when you pull a cam/lifters/pushrods - I remember reading this in the overhaul manual (many) years ago, that stated the wear-in or hone pattern that develops between the contact surfaces are unique to those parts, and that the parts have to go through the same process if they are mismatched on reassembly, which could cause accelerated wear/premature part failure. I believe that to be on the high side of extremely remote - if you use assembly lube, and lubricate everything like it should be, they'll probably be fine. I still keep mine together, marked or cataloged.

I don't consider myself as a professional engine builder, but I built my first one ('57 PowerPac 283, 30-30 solid GM cam, 327-300 heads, 11:1 TRW pistons, original stamped rockers, 43 years ago; multiple small blocks and big blocks (even a couple of FoMoCo's) since. I have never had a reused stock rocker fail, but I have checked them all for problems before reinstalling them. Last I heard, the original 283 was still at it. It's just a matter of personal preference - I know roller tips are better for geometry and reduced internal friction, but I still will use my "O's" until they give up the ghost, or I do.

Just my opinion -
Steve
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 02:42:13 AM »
I have a pile of each, so I am sure I have some little "O"s I can trade you.

Send me a PM and let me know how many.  It may be a few days before I dig them out.

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 03:44:22 AM »
That's cool Lynn. I gotta dig mine out as well. Maybe we all can get together and make some complete sets. I'll PM you when I find out what I have and what I need. Years ago I had two full sets of the small O's but I can't remember what the heck I did with those things. I'm still scratching my head on that one.

I have a pile of each, so I am sure I have some little "O"s I can trade you.

Send me a PM and let me know how many.  It may be a few days before I dig them out.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

zman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 01:46:34 AM »
my set has 5 of the big 0's and I'd like to have them match if anyone's wanting bigs for their smalls
Rich
69 RS/Z DZ302 Daytona bumble bee
69 T/A clone LS6/6sp
69 Nova SS 396