Author Topic: REALLY LOUD '69  (Read 4224 times)

drobrts28

• View Profile
REALLY LOUD '69
« on: April 17, 2013, 06:03:07 PM »
Hey everyone.  I am a newbie to the Camaro world. I have always been a fan, but never an owner—yet.  My wife is a fan, too. She used to have a late 90s Camaro.  We are thinking of getting another one, but going classic this time. I am curious, is it a cardinal sin to have someone build one  for you?  I don’t have the slightest mechanical ability, so I was looking at custom shops to do the work for me and saw this vid on Facebook (it sounds amazing):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151315200451372&set=vb.67095426371&type=2&theater

Does anyone know about these guys or had work done by them?   Thanks.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: REALLY LOUD '69
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:12:59 PM »
My suggestion is taht it would be MUCH less expensive to go to car shows, check ebay/etc.. for a car you like. and buy it.. it might seem expensive, but it's much preferable to going down that long road with a 'blank check' at the end of it... that some might call 'having my car restored'...  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »
My suggestion is taht it would be MUCH less expensive to go to car shows, check ebay/etc.. for a car you like. and buy it.. it might seem expensive, but it's much preferable to going down that long road with a 'blank check' at the end of it... that some might call 'having my car restored'...  :)

X2  That's good advice!  Also, check with local clubs.  They often know where the cars are in the area.  If nothing else, find somebody to help you throughly check out any possible purchase.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:32:52 PM »
x3.

There is a car out there that you can enjoy.  Guys tire of cars.  Others just pass on and no one in the family wants it.

You can easily spend $75k to $100k having your dream car built.  And it can easily turn into a nightmare.

Unless you have VERY SPECIFIC tastes and opinions about what you want, you will usually be much better off buying a car that is done and sorted; especially if you can't do most of the build yourself.

Cars come up all the time with statements like:  "$80,000 in receipts.  Will take $40,000"

jvb6648

• 716-796-5263
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:24:17 AM »
If you decide to have one built do your home work and don't think everybody wants the work. There's a NPD near me so I stopped in to get some referrals for body and paint. First person, nice shop, nice work but after initial visit he never answered his phone or returned messages. Scratch one. Next person, nice shop saw some of his work, seemed capable, $40/hr, came to the house to look at the car. "Call me when your ready" he said. I do so and he then proceded to blow me off. Scratch two. I wanted to use AMD so on my way to pick it up in VA. I stopped at a big restro shop. $75/hr. Got the shop tour etc. They had a lot more cars they were working on than employees. Picked up the sheet metal and asked them about the restro shop. Not good, large deposit and every month they need more money and your car never gets finished. Customer law suits. Scratch three. Gave the car and $1000 to the next guy, 6 months later he started to work on when I told him I was coming to get it. Scratch four. Didn't like what five wanted to do. Finally stopped in a hot rod shop I had passed. He sent me to a parts store where a lot guys buy their supplies. Four names and who the felt was the best. Bingo and only $25/hr. Great workvery pleased but my wasn't to keen on giving him $1000 every week. So all the sheet metal is now on but the car sits in the garage now. Hope this helps, don't mean to discourage you, just give you my experience.
Jim
Jim
68 Z/28

anything