Author Topic: Lubing after sitting for a year?  (Read 4164 times)

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
Lubing after sitting for a year?
« on: April 01, 2013, 06:31:51 PM »
This the current state of my car.  It has been sitting for a year while i knocked out a bunch of projects on it.  Since it has been sitting it looks dry in the valley and rockers.  Before I install the intake can I oil up these areas as a precaution? If so where exactly?

1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Lubing after sitting for a year?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »
 If the intake is out then you can easily get access to and spin the oil pump shaft to prime the motor to circulate oil which will include the rod/cam/crank bearings. I'd recommend also to spray some penetrating lube into the cylinders to prevent the rings from a dry start and crank with the plugs out first.
 I made a tool using an old distributor body with the cam drive gear removed to drop in and a welded socket on top to put an air ratchet.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

z28z11

• View Profile
Re: Lubing after sitting for a year?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 01:55:31 AM »
I agree with Mike S; you should go a little further before you spin it. I sold my '70 LS5 year before last - it had sat without being turned over for 16 years (while I was busy raising kids) with the intake removed (I was de-tuning it back to stock, replaced an aftermarket intake and L78 heads with stockers). I used a Moroso priming tool that I bought years ago, pumped oil pressure up before even attempting to turn the engine over. I squirted Marvel Mystery Oil cut 50-50 with Castrol GTX into each cylinder, left the plugs out, and then hand-turned the crank 90 degrees and primed again until oil showed up through the pushrods. Buttoned up the block, timed it, and started the engine. The only problems I had were several flat lifters, which finally pumped back up, but no cylinder problems, ring problems, or bearing difficulties. Ran like you expect Chevrolet's finest to do - barked the tires trying to pull it out of the garage.
This engine/car was stored in an unheated garage for a total of 19 years, 16 of those partially torn down, respected but not taken care of as much as it deserved, but it still fired up and ran good enough to trailer to a new owner (so the '68 Z could take it's place). I don't think you'll have much trouble with it - looks great to me.

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6