Author Topic: Originality questions for Tilt Column (restored) vs Original non-tilt column  (Read 6607 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Is the height of the keylock boss on the 69 steering column *different* for the non tilt column vs the Tilt column?   My car came with a non-tiltcolumn, but the space between seatback and steering wheel has shrunk significantly since I last drove it in 1980 ... :) , so I'm considering installing a tilt column.   In comparing the original non-tilt and restored tilt columns, I found a couple of differences:

Height of Keylock boss
Attached are photos of the boss for the keylock cylinder on the two columns:
Non-tilt column, followed by the higher boss on the Tilt column:

Additionally, the paint color on the bottom of the steering column is different:
Attached are the bottom showing the difference for the Non-tilt (green paint), and tilt (restored black)..

Is it 'normal' that the height of the keylock boss on a tilt column is so much higher than a non tilt?
Is the 'green' painted end of my original non-tilt factory correct?  Is the TILT end different and is the 'black painted' also correct?
Any/all help appreciated. 
I need to know if this tilt column is correct re the keylock boss height and original type, and if it is, do I need to paint the end green to match the original column before installation.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Steering columns were received from Saginaw in black primer, and the top 12" or so was painted interior trim color in the car assembly plant.

At '69 start of production, we were supposed to use a felt pad with white ink (paint) on it to highlight the "LOCK" lettering cast into the column adjacent to the ignition key boss; this process was really flaky and the results looked like it was done by a five-year-old, and shortly that highlighting requirement was cancelled.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
John,  thanks for your comments!   

Re the 'green part' of my original column.  Do you think that is where the saginaw applied black paint didn't adhere well?  That column has never been out of the car, but when I saw the green showing thru the black paint, I cleaned off the black (which was very easy to do);  I believed the spotty black that was on it was from my 'spray bombing' it black in the mid 70's which was at least partially true.. :) 

tmodel66

• View Profile
Gary is that green piece hard plastic? I think mine was the same way yours is. I looked but I can't find my pictures of the steering column.  Oh and that key boss don't look right but I could be wrong. It seems that's a later model thing if I remember correctly.   
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Tmodel:   It could be plastic, it does have that look, but I didn't even consider that possibility.   I'll go check it with a magnet .. :)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Gary is that green piece hard plastic? I think mine was the same way yours is. I looked but I can't find my pictures of the steering column. 

I've taken another look, and tried to use a magnet on it, but that's difficult to do with so much metal so close to it.   I do tend to think it might be plastic due to it's shiny look.  Perhaps it was a stop/spacer used in the factory when they installed the coupler to the end of the shaft?

Oh and that key boss don't look right but I could be wrong. It seems that's a later model thing if I remember correctly.   
Are you referring to the taller key boss?  on the tilt column?   I have both the restored tilt column, just purchased as 'original restored' from Gary's classics in Athens, TX.. and I also have an original tilt column of the late sixties era, both have the tall boss for the keylock, but my samples are limited, which is why I asked the question hoping someone with a known original tilt column in their 69 Camaro can respond...

tmodel66

• View Profile
Gary I just looked in the Service Manual and the green piece shows up as a spacer and I still think it's hard plastic. The tall boss would be correct after refreshing my memory because the tilt has to relocate everything. 
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Azure1969Z/28

• View Profile
Mine is a 4th week Jan 69 Van Nuys car w/tilt (column assumed original I,ve had it since 82)
High key boss, no green or black "spacer" I only see the splined shaft where this piece would be ?

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Thanks for the followups (Azure and Tmodel).  I think I've gotten enough confirmation that I can proceed with reasonable confidence that it's *right*... :)

anything