Author Topic: Transmission, Rear End and Trim tag  (Read 22778 times)

RickH

• View Profile
Re: Transmission, Rear End and Trim tag
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 02:09:36 AM »
I'm a little confused about this post. You stated that the trim tag had the ACC stamp on it and you even posted the info off the tag. Now you say it doesn't have it even after you described exactly where it is located on the tag?  You even called Bob Harris to verify it.

You even questioned posts such as "Mike, if ACC doesn't mean anything then why is it there?"

What I don't understand is why is it not there after all the postings? How can you mistake that?

Also if the tranny stamp of P8R30 is correct then it it not the original numbers matching transmission for your car as you say it is. The numbers you posted are for a transmission built October 30, 1968. Your car is an 06C, third week of June 1968 which means your car was built almost 4 months before the tranmission was.

Is this car at Camaro Specialties being worked on?

Rick H.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 02:35:08 AM by RickH »

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 01:47:59 AM »
Rick:  As I said in the previous post "I was incorrect" .  The ACC designation came from the report the appraiser/inspector who checked the car out in Carson City Nevada sent to me.  Obviously this report was wrong.  Too bad too as I paid good money for an incorrect report.  I went back out to Camaro Specialties as I have done once or twice each week since the car has been there and looked at the cowl tag and took a picture (attached).

As for the transmission date code I am pretty sure the date code on transmissions is for the model year, not the calendar year, so this transmission would be before the build date on the car.  However, I could be wrong about that too.  As I said, I am just learning, please be patient with me,  all of you were there once too.  :)

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 05:04:17 AM »
Sorry I didn't know about your purchase beforehand.  I live in Minden, NV.  Carson City is 10 miles north on Hwy 395.  Would have been glad to snap a few pics for you, etc.
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

Marty

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 06:29:26 PM »
Yes the Muncie date code is by model year so the date code is October 30, 1967. Martin
Martin Foltz
CRG Member
68 Van Nuys Camaro

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2006, 09:08:46 PM »
But 8 months before the car is very unlikely.....
Kurt S
CRG

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 02:29:51 AM »
Rich:  Had I known about this website and board before I bought the car it would have been a great help to me.  I know you would have taken the pics of the car and I appreciate it.  Perhaps you know the car as it was in Carson City for many years and was a daily driver.  It was always parked at a Shell station there.

Kurt, yes 8 months before the build of the car is certainly unusual from what I have read, but I have also read that there were more unusual things too.  I do wish we could be certain of things like this.  We dropped the tranny to make it easier to clean up the undercarriage and replace the oil pan gasket and the stamping on the tranny is definitely the correct partial VIN.  I am not well versed enough to tell if it is a restamp but the texture from the casting is there on the case so it looks right to me.  One of the interesting things is that the tranny and rear end dates are within a day of each other but both about 7.5 months before the 06C cowl tag date.

Pics of the completed car will be coming shortly, maybe as early as next Wednesday or so.  These things always take longer than anyone wants. :P
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 05:22:29 AM »
Either way, I agree that the time between drivetrain assembly dates and car build date is a little excessive.

I'll be back in town next week and will have to stop in and check it out.

Rick H.

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2006, 10:42:00 AM »
Rick,

Contact me before you head out there.  The car is just about done and I expect to have it back either Saturday or Tuesday.

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 11:17:19 AM »
Rick:

Did you ever go out to Camaro Specialties and check out my car?
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006, 03:01:39 PM »
Mark

Did you have them swap out the grille?  If you did are you planning on bringing the old one back with you?  If not will you look at the old one to see if you can find a part number on it.  Also, look at the headlight covers to see if you can find a part number on them to for us please (Reference thread http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1087.0).  Thanks!!!

Steve

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 03:19:56 PM »
Steve:

Yes we have swapped the grille out.  i will check the part nmumber on it and the headlight covers.  Going out of town so it will be towards the end of the week before I look at this.

Mark
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

rocco376

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2022, 07:30:46 PM »

anything