Author Topic: 68 tilt steering column too long  (Read 3422 times)

gkweber3

• View Profile
68 tilt steering column too long
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:49:55 AM »
Guys, I must be missing something (or am just an idiot). I am adding power steering (got the Saginaw gear from a 68 bird). I am trying to install my original tilt column, but it seems nearly an inch too long when I try to line-up the three holes for the the under dash studs. Any one run across this?

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: 68 tilt steering column too long
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
You're going to have to post some pictures. I can't imagine why you're having this issue if the column is original for your car.

Ed

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 04:18:55 PM »
Guys, I must be missing something (or am just an idiot). I am adding power steering (got the Saginaw gear from a 68 bird). I am trying to install my original tilt column, but it seems nearly an inch too long when I try to line-up the three holes for the the under dash studs. Any one run across this?
Is it possible taht you are attempting to install the under-column brace 'backwards'?   Try rotating it around, so the open end of the brace holes are towards the front and let me know?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

gkweber3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:26:55 PM »
Gary, I will take a look when I get home, but the brace can only go on one-way - there is one hole on the left of the column and two on the right (the hole closest to the firewall has the shim). Let me know if I am missing your point.

I am wondering if I should take the bolt out of the coupling so I can slide it back more to get room - then, see if I can bolt it up under the dash and then try to re-position the coupling prior to bolting it to the rag joint. I've R&Red the columns several times with no issues - not sure why I am having this problem with the p/s gear box.

gkweber3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 02:34:29 AM »
Well my first thought was correct - I was an idiot. I did not realize it is a collapseable column. While pulling the steering wheel off, I must have lengthened the column. by standing it on end and pushing down, I has able to shorten the column enough to work.

anything