Author Topic: Hello from a newbie.  (Read 9898 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Hello from a newbie.
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 06:24:23 PM »
Good reading HERE and HERE, with additional info on Delco Remy HERE.

Ed

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 07:12:02 PM »
FANTASTIC information Ed.. Lotsa info I haven't heard/read before... :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »
There are a handful of items that are reproduced that are authorized by GM. Most everything else is reproduced for first Gen Camaros is made in China. Year One, OPG, there are numerous suppliers, some parts are reproduced by different companies with varying degrees of quality. If a Camaro owner wants a sure fit or top shelf part, he/she will look for an original or New old stock GM part. There are actually quite a bit of NOS parts still available from private sellers, who have stock pilled parts over the years. A parts car will turn up from time to time, and is a good source for original parts.  Most of the time reproduction is frowned upon because you have a good chance of it not fitting, or looking correct. The NOS or original is as good as it gets, but not all reproduction parts bad. Trim parts makes nice emblems for Camaros as well as many other makes and models, I have never received a bad emblem from them, and I would rate them as one of the better reproduction companies out there. I believe that all of there items are GM licensed, I am unsure if they are using the original tooling or not, but they make a nice product. There are also other guys out there like Jerry MacNeish who certifies Camaros, and he also sells a limited amount of parts, or rebuilt items like alternators, distributors, and smog systems. His smog systems for instance use some reproduction parts, but visually I am told are spot on.
I hope this helps you out in getting an understanding of the parts situation for first Gen Camaros.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 07:25:58 PM »
Theoretically you could take it so far down the line through packaging and paper/pulpwood production it would be ludicrous.
I sold paperboard to many of the folding carton manufacturers whose logos are on the flaps of the paperboard cartons GM products were packaged in from the 60's to present.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

littlefriend

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 10:55:34 PM »
Theoretically you could take it so far down the line through packaging and paper/pulpwood production it would be ludicrous.
I sold paperboard to many of the folding carton manufacturers whose logos are on the flaps of the paperboard cartons GM products were packaged in from the 60's to present.

I don't want to take it that far, just understand the process. During the "bailout), there was much talk about how many jobs were auto related, I would think there were even more in the 40's thru 60's, if for no other reason than relative lack of automation more labor intensive), and purchasing from American rather than foreign suppliers