Author Topic: building a garage  (Read 25192 times)

DavidS

• z28.net
    • View Profile
    • www.z28.net
Re: building a garage
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2013, 02:42:48 AM »
Joe, you saw our garage (stable converted) but we cannot say enough about insulation. I placed the heaviest mill sheating I could find for what I concreted but wish the rest had been done as well due to moisture. What John had the foresight to do for his floor is quite commendable. Those dehumidifiers eat the electric up..... Not sure if you can but orientation can play also as its always nice to have the back wall facing north with no windows or doors. Our ceiling is 12' 4" so our 2 post lift was a breeze. Insulated garage doors are a must! Thinking of your heat source will be one of the many things to decide on before starting IMO. Since ours was already built we added a ceiling Reznor 75K propane heater to the one side which works nicely but if building from scratch I'd be considering other heat sources. Also added alarm system and heat pods for notifying in case of fire. Helps with insurance as well....
Gotta love all those horses in just a couple stalls.... :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chick,  Your setup is terrific!!!  It gave me a little push to put in a bid on a foreclosure property that needs a ton of work.  But it's got 10 acres and a garage/stable combined that should work out A-OK.  I might need some advice from you along the way though.  Well and septic inspections are on Monday and then a closing date can be set.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is remodeling the horse stall part of the garage where the Camaros and the lift will go.

On one side is a 3 car garage.

On the other side, there are 3 horse stalls on the sides with an open section in the middle that has bricks on it right now.  I'm thinking the middle section is where the lift could eventually go since there's a lot of open space up top.  But the sides and doors are then all screwed up for Camaro parking spaces.

Under the stall flooring and the bricks are dirt.  No concrete floors there.  I think the first thing I have to do is make a rough sketch/floor plan of the current layout and figure it out from there.  It would be nice to have it all open space but there are loads of support posts & beams everywhere.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:09:21 AM by DavidS »

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2013, 11:44:09 PM »
Oh do you have great potential there David! What a neat and interesting property. Not sure how I could help but anytime to brain storm whatever let me know. This is what I started with as it was a 10 stall working stable (pole buidling) 2.5 years old. As what you found the floors in the stall area itself were crushed stone with heavy rubber mats on top and then topped with wood chips. So the concrete work can become interesting like what's the best way to get it in? Fly crap gallore on the ceiling and one side of the building was basically pole building with beams and sheetmetal. Cleaned every square inch of the ceiling and walls with Lysol. Some pics starting off with how it looked when purchased and ending with present.

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2013, 11:46:42 PM »

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

bergy

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2013, 01:34:51 PM »
Hey Gary - Sorry for the delay in response to your question about the dimensions of my building.  It's about 60' wide x 75' deep.  The work bay is isolated from the general population, but there is a garage door in the rear of it so that cars can be moved in & out of the work area (roll-eze) without having to go outside in the rain or cold.  One of the design criteria was that all 8 cars must be able to be driven in & out without having to move other cars.  Hope this helps!

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »
Thanks Bergy!   :)
Better late than never..    I loved the layout of your building, esp for the 'driving in and out' without movement of other cars... currently, I have 6 cars stored in my basement garage (behind two garage doors), so to get the back ones out, I  have to move at least one car and sometimes 2 (which sucks obviously).. and minimizes the amount of time I drive the back ones.   If you happen to have exact dimensions, or plans, I'd love to have them, but I'll see what I can work out using your approx dimensions in the meantime.
Thanks again,

Gary
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan