Author Topic: Upper control arm shaft - How important is this surface ?  (Read 4167 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Upper control arm shaft - How important is this surface ?
« on: December 15, 2012, 03:42:40 AM »
On each end of the upper control arm shaft, where the bushing sits, how important is the surface condition on this area? Mine have some rust pitting. (See the attached photo with the arrow) .

I am trying to figure out if the shafts I have will still work or should they be replaced.

This is my first time redoing a front suspension. Tell me if I understand this correctly....... With the bushing in place on the control arm shaft and the bolt with the large washer put through the bushing and screwed in to the control arm shaft, the serrated edge of the bushing's inner sleeve digs into the control arm shaft and locks them together. The inner sleeve of the bushing never rotates around the end of the control arm shaft when the car is being driven.....Is this right?

If the above is true, it would seem that the surface of the control arm ends would not need to be super smooth..... Right or wrong?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.....Dave

tmodel66

• View Profile
Re: Upper control arm shaft - How important is this surface ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 03:46:55 AM »
Yeah I think you will be OK with those. I would just clean them up with some emery cloth or 1000 grit and let it go.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 03:54:49 AM »
  Your understanding is correct. The bushing is locked when assembled.
The picture of the shaft surface looks fine. As long as the new bushings fit on the shaft without rocking then you can reuse them.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 04:15:20 PM »
Thanks guys for the info..............I have question about emery cloth. I often read people recommending emery cloth for polishing metal but no one ever mentions a grit size to use. It comes in many different grits. Does the abrasiveness of a certain grit of emery cloth equal that of the same size grit in sandpaper. If you are recommending 1000 grit sandpaper or emery cloth to polish the ends of these shafts, would I look for the same grit of emery cloth or something different?

Thanks,
                Dave

tmodel66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 05:19:09 PM »
To be honest I never really pay attention to grits on emery cloth. I just always go by color. Red is course and green is for a finer polish. Then you have black which is like a diaper and I use it with jewelers rouge for tolerance polishing.  I think there is a brown in the mix but I don't remember. It's been a long time since I've done any work in the shop.
Daniel  
'69 SS 350/4 speed  Fathom Green--POP

anything