Author Topic: powerglide specialty tool  (Read 4559 times)

mikefam

• View Profile
powerglide specialty tool
« on: December 04, 2012, 11:00:45 AM »
I'm hoping that someone can share their knowledge of powerglide transmissions with me and save me a bunch of time. I am changing the shifter selector shaft seal and it requires you to remove the shifter shaft first. After removing the drain pan you need to loosen two small (approx 1/4") screws that secure a C clamp to the shifter shaft so that you can slide the shaft out of the tranny case. Sounds easy enough right?

Well the screw heads appear to be 12 point which is unusual in small size screws. They may even be something different but they are in a spot that makes it hard to measure them or count the points. 1/4" six point slips and 7/32" six point is too small. Metric six point won't turn them either.

My question - are these 12 point heads? Do I need a specialty tool to remove them?

Thanks in advance, Mike.
68 Convertible w/327 275hp donor engine from a 67 Impala and TH350

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
Re: powerglide specialty tool
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 11:42:05 AM »
No special tools, just need a 1/4 inch drive 1/4 inch 12 point socket.
Be sure to change the O-ring inside the selector shaft and kickdown lever when you remove the assembly.
Emery paper the selector shaft providing a new surface for the new seal. Lube everything with ATF.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:25 PM »
Everett:

Thanks, I'm off to the tool store. I have been collecting tools for thirty years and don't have a small 12 pt socket set. BTW nice dog!

Mike.

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:01:39 PM »
You're welcome, Mike.
Let me kniow how it works.
Jake, Basset Hound, one of three rescues here whom are 'spoiled' to the hilt...
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

mikefam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 11:29:27 PM »
You're welcome, Mike.
Let me kniow how it works.
Jake, Basset Hound, one of three rescues here whom are 'spoiled' to the hilt...

We lost our rescue mutt after fourteen great years and she was our child, she's gone two years now and it still hurts. I'm not convinced that she can be replaced.

So I ran down to Sears hardware and bought a set of 1/4" drive 12 point socket set and another set of 1/4" drive sockets that they call universal sockets. They are supposed to fit 6 pt, 12 pt, torx and even turn stripped heads. I almost can't wait until I need to use one to see how it works. Sounds too good to be true but worth a shot.

The 1/4 12 point was good and I got the seal removed but in the process I also had the shifter lever and parking pin come out. I put the lever assembly back the only way that I think that it COULD go back in but I'm a little worried.

There was a spring loaded lever that I had to pry back in order to get the park pin in between it and fixed piece of metal and the pin is horizontal and facing the rear of the transmission. What bothers me is if removing the pin has disturbed any other internal parts. Also if this is a parking pin then what selects the shift range in the transmission? The pin is the only thing attached to the shifting lever so it must somehow shift gears, no?

Are you familiar with the assembly? Anyone?

Mike.