Author Topic: Original Convertible Well Liner Material  (Read 3210 times)

jeff68

• View Profile
Original Convertible Well Liner Material
« on: November 21, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »
Does anybody have a picture of both sides of an original factory convertible well liner?

I had a new top put on my car back in the 80's and the well liner was made out of what appears to be a black lightweight convertible top material.  It's canvas/cloth on one side and pinpoint black vinyl on the other.  The replacement from PUI is cloth with a smooth vinyl on one side, and the vinyl appears to be glued to the cloth, and is pulling away everywhere it was folded.  It looks awful.  The replacement from Electron Top is cloth with a grained glossy vinyl on the other side.

So, does anyone know what is factory correct?
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Original Convertible Well Liner Material
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:02:59 AM »
The factory used a vinyl similar to the door panels on the side that housed the top, with a white cotton "flocking" on the trunk side. You can see the flocking of my original HERE.

When I had my top redone, I took it to a shop here in town that's been around since the early 60's, and they had the exact same material on a shelf! If you need pictures of the inside, let me know, but it's really hard to take a picture of a black vinyl.

Ed

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 01:29:55 AM »
Ed-
Is the flocking really white?  It looks more of a charcoal color in the picture.

So the black vinyl is about the same grain as the soft interior trim?  If it's not too much trouble, I would greatly appreciate a picture of the inside.

It's interesting that the vinyl side is toward the interior of the car.  I thought that the vinyl side went toward the trunk compartment.  The well liner I got from Electron Top has the vinyl side toward the interior, and I thought it was a mistake.  Maybe that one is correct.

Thanks for the help,
Jeff

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 02:07:22 AM »
Yes, it's white. (Kind of an off white after 40 years, but originally it was white.) The picture is not the greatest shot, but it's the only one I could find. I could have sworn I had another picture showing the flocking itself, but I can't find it.

I'll get you a few pictures tomorrow when it's light out.

Ed

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 06:05:35 PM »
Here you go Jeff. It's a little dusty in the car and I lightened it a little so you could see the grain, but in reality it's black, not gray.

Ed

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 12:03:54 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Ed!

anything